OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How close is too close?

Started by BHhunter, December 07, 2011, 02:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Dbrnmllr

If he sticks his beak in the end of my barrel, I MIGHT let him take 1 full step back.  But that depends on if the wind is blowing or not!

SumToy

I did get to shoot the gun today. I get the targets so I can post it and give the full lay out.   I also think with the 835/935 this is not what you will see as season comes in.  This was in temps of 40 and wet ground.  So that will take away from this gun.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

BHhunter

Quote from: SumToy on December 08, 2011, 08:26:25 PM
I did get to shoot the gun today. I get the targets so I can post it and give the full lay out.   I also think with the 835/935 this is not what you will see as season comes in.  This was in temps of 40 and wet ground.  So that will take away from this gun.
Does that condition make the pattern better or worse? That's normal weather for turkey season here in South Dakota.

gob09

im sure it can take away some, and im no expert by no means i just wonder how much the temp. effects patterns
it's not like we are sniping turkeys although i'd like to sometimes

SumToy

I know the big bore guns fall off in the cool temps. On the target world I have seen them go from blowing holes to looking like a plain full choke.   Now you can do things to help and get them to put numbers but I don't because folks don't do it in the woods.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

gobbler74

Quote from: 2ounce6s on December 08, 2011, 04:23:23 PM
Sure would love to be there when some of you fellas get around to the 10 yard muffed shot and hear the muttering "dammit I should have shot him when I had the chance and he was at 25-30".
I ain't as confident as you boys with all these "crackheads with binos strapped to their heads" turkeys I get to hunt. Of course I don't use blinds much...

It would probly be more colorful than that.

I missed one at 8 steps last spring. 5 shots were fired two different days on two different birds on the first two days of the season,   Found out later my scope had give up the ghost and I threw it in the trash. The first shots was @ 25 yards. Clean miss, I couldnt figure out what was up. I had patterned with an open choke for close quarters. Found out later my scope had give up the ghost and I threw it in the trash. I dont blame the scope on the 2nd close bird. I shot behind his neck. I took out feathers. As he tried to get away he weaved when he should have bobbed and didnt make it. That gun was 10-0 in 3 seasons before last spring. When I got home and mounted a new scope he whacked 3 in a row. I needed that miss...good ole piece of humble pie.           
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

gobbler74

Quote from: FullChoke on December 08, 2011, 03:48:26 PM
Hmmm. Would it be considered baiting if I were to tie a corncob to the end of my barrel and shoot him when he comes over to peck on it? Maybe start a company called Silver Queen Choke Tube Co.?

Cheers  :you_rock:

FullChoke
Thats funny right there.. :corn:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

mightyjoeyoung

2 seasons ago, the old man missed...FOUR TIMES in one day...heck in TWO HOURS!!   :help:  Now this guy is the best shot I know (Marine Corps Gunnery SGT) go figure.  We get home and he goes to pull his 835 from the back seat of the truck and the scope...pops off in his hand!  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:  We locktighted (blue) the scope ring screws and the first shot at 25 yards was dead on.  Went back out the next morning...same tree, same group of 2 year olds...dead bird at 42 yards.  His second bird?...9 big steps from the muzzle of his shotgun.  It was ugly.  We both have had some trigger work done to our turkey guns so that they break like glass...reduces the chance of jerking the muzzle off target when they get stupid close.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on December 10, 2011, 07:01:34 PM
2 seasons ago, the old man missed...FOUR TIMES in one day...heck in TWO HOURS!!   :help:  Now this guy is the best shot I know (Marine Corps Gunnery SGT) go figure.  We get home and he goes to pull his 835 from the back seat of the truck and the scope...pops off in his hand!  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:  We locktighted (blue) the scope ring screws and the first shot at 25 yards was dead on.  Went back out the next morning...same tree, same group of 2 year olds...dead bird at 42 yards.  His second bird?...9 big steps from the muzzle of his shotgun.  It was ugly.  We both have had some trigger work done to our turkey guns so that they break like glass...reduces the chance of jerking the muzzle off target when they get stupid close.

That's a great story. You also mention one of the most neglected subjects when it comes to making your turkey gun shoot well, the trigger pull. We spend a lot of time on shotshells, barrels, chokes, etc. but very little overall on improving our triggers.

There are several things that we all can do to improve the trigger pull on any gun. It all really begins by making sure that the fire control unit (trigger group) is spotlessly clean and that the pivot points (only) are lubricated. Since most guns today can be dry fired without adverse effects, several hundred trigger pulls is recommended. If you're concerned about dry firing an empty chamber, there are several products that can help you there.

If you shoot a Remington 870, 11-87 or 1100, there's also the Timney Trigger Fix that will allow your shotgun to have a trigger like a rifle.

Some gunsmiths will also work on some guns to help polish the critical parts in the fire control unit to smooth out the pull, eliminate creep and reduce the pressure needed on the trigger.

Some gunsmiths will not do this work due to liability issues and we as ethical shooters and hunters must always be careful not to make any gun dangerous for us or for some future owner but a thorough cleaning and strategic oiling is always just fine.

Great post.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mightyjoeyoung

Clark, that's exactly what we had done...just a nice simple trigger clean up.  Makes a world of difference imo when it comes to shooting tight patterning shotguns at a fist sized turkey's head, especially when things get up close and personal.   :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I let the shot go at the first solid opportunity I get once the bird is inside 50 yards.

I've shot em at 3 steps and killed em out at 65 but my preferred yardage is 40 yards.

trkehunr93

I've killed'em at 10-12yrds before, just hold tight on'em.  Helps to know your gun!

redleg06

In a perfect world they'd all stand very still at 30yds....

I really dont like them to get inside 20.

WyoHunter

Shot one at 5 steps but 25 is perfect in my opinion. Both my turkey rigs are scoped and I've never had a problem finding the bird. Most of my kills are inside 40 yards.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!