turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ca finish

Started by TRKYHTR, December 06, 2011, 09:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

Need a little help. I wanted to finish a call using CA, crazy glue, and have never done it before.
1) what do you use to put it on the call?
2) How do you keep from getting it all over you?
3) Do you put it on while it's on the lathe?
4) How many coats do you use?
5) Do you sand inbetween coats?
6) Do you need to put poly on after your done?

If you can think of anything else please chime in. Thanks,

TRKYHTR
Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

FullChoke

Cyanoacrylate (CA) has been a popular finish material for a few years, but is limited to smaller objects. It is durable and easy to apply.

Here is an article describing application. (http://www.woodhelp.com/CAInfoSheet.htm)

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

misfire

Here is how I do it, not necesarily the best way, but,,,,,,
Finish sanding
Leave lathe on slowest speed possible. Using a papertowel, I tear the towel in three pieces, then those pieces in half. Roll the piece up, then put a drop of glue on the towel and apply to wood. Add more as needed. By the time you get to the other end of the wood, it should be near dry. I add 3-4 coats, no sanding between coats. Once I get the desired amount of CA on the wood, I speed the lathe up and sand with 400gr paper to get the ridges out of the finish, then hit with 800gr. Once that is done, I then use EEE polish and wipe that off ( all while the lathe is spinning)
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

CallMaker

Thanks for the link and the info.  I've never used CA as a finish.   I may have to try it!
Steven

pappy

CA finish is all about application, never try to coat the entire piece, always wet sand in between final coats, layer them with a white paper towel, don't use steel wool, wear rubber or latex gloves, apply one drop at a time......final polishing with 1200 grit wet sanding and you should have a shine and protective surface like you have never seen before. Duck call makers use it all the time when they are looking for the deepest looking finish using the less they can...pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206