OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Taming Recoil

Started by Steamin, February 17, 2011, 08:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamin

I've got a question for all of ya.

I've got two synthetic stock 20ga. mossberg's for my boys and while the recoil isn't abusive the synthetic doesn't soak up much and I don't want the boys to start flinching subconsioulsly at an early age. One has some meat on his bones and the other one is what you'd call wirey, he doesn't have much meat on him.
I've got a couple sims recoil pads on order and I'm thinking about putting some shot in a zip lock bag and then wrapping it up in some old socks to help absorb some of the recoil.
It's like we all know, nobody feels it go off when were huntin', and both of the boys know that, but after a while of shooting cans and targets it starts to wear on ya.
Thanks in advance.

Steamin

hookedspur

I use the lead sled works well from a bench.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

hookedspur

The bag of sand pinned in a shooting jacket helps when not on a bench.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bbcoach

Steamin,
I purchased a 12 gauge 835 two years ago and heard the HORROR of these guns with 3 1/2" loads.  Here is what I did for my 835 and she shoots like a 20 gauge with dove loads.

1.  I added 4 ozs of lead shot, wrapped in a sock with duct tape around it, in the very back of the buttstock.  Get a piece of styrofoam and cut it to fit the front end and leave just enough space for the shot in the rear.  (Helps Balance the Gun as well as reduce recoil)

2.  Get a LIMBSAVER recoil pad and install that and the boys won't even know the recoil is there.

3.  If they have a problem with cheek recoil then add a comb raising kit to their gun.

Sounds like over kill but we don't need our Future Thunder Chicken Hunters getting a DOSE of RECOIL ANXIETY!!!!!

redarrow

Before you install the Sims pads, fill the stock with spray foam ( Great Stuff).

CANLIMBHANGAR

Quote from: redarrow on February 17, 2011, 09:39:18 AM
Before you install the Sims pads, fill the stock with spray foam ( Great Stuff).

what does adding foam do???
GO NORTH OR GO HOME!!!

bbcoach

what does adding foam do???

I added the removable foam in my 835 for a dual purpose: 1. It keeps the shot bag from sliding around in the stock  2. It allowed me to position the added weight against the recoil pad to help balance the nose of the gun.

By the way, I wouldn't use spray insulating foam in my stock for a couple of reasons: 1. that stuff is very sticky and it will definitely adhere to everything inside the buttstock.  You will never be able to get it all out if you decide to later.  2.  If the spray foam gets wet, you will never get it dry, setting up corrosion on the bolt that holds the buttstock to the receiver.

My 2 cents!

paladin

I stuffed foam peanuts in one. It took to hollow sound away.

Practice with light loads and pratice good form.
"have gun-will travel"

runngun

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

chatterbox

My advice would be a knoxx stock. Not only will it soak up recoil like nobody's buisness, it is adjustable, and will grow with a growing shooter.
Another suggestion is to practice with light dove loads, and slip in a turkey load for the hunt.

Steamin

Thanks for the reply's everybody, what you've all mentioned is pretty much along the same lines as what I've been having them do, low brass 2 3/4" 7's and 8's.
Getting rid of old ammo and I'm trying to prevent the flinch from coming on.
Every once in awhile I'll throw a heavy load in just to see who's holding onto the gun properly and who isn't.
It's about being safe and having fun while we're doing and learning at the same time.

I'll gonna try the 4oz. of lead shot rolled up, I've already filled the hollow stock filled with old rolled up socks to soak up the noise.
Thanks again and be safe.

Steamin
:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

VAHUNTER

i would just keep them on low brass bird shot until they are against the tree.
Good things come to those who wait

DC101

Both of my boys started with a Mossy 500 Bantam.

The oldest is skinny, youngest is much more muscular.

When they started turkey hunting Dad patterned the gun for them to avoid the recoil issue turning them off on the whole thing.

20 ga with 3" loads kicks pretty good in a youth sized pump; I had a bruise on my shoulder as the patterning process took several evenings trying different load and choke combos until we hit it right for that gun.

All of this can be avoided if you access to a lead sled; I did not have one at that time so I just wore my clays vest with the reactar pad in it and I still ended up bruised and sore for a few days.

Steamin

Quote from: DC101 on February 18, 2011, 10:42:23 AM
Both of my boys started with a Mossy 500 Bantam.

The oldest is skinny, youngest is much more muscular.

When they started turkey hunting Dad patterned the gun for them to avoid the recoil issue turning them off on the whole thing.

20 ga with 3" loads kicks pretty good in a youth sized pump; I had a bruise on my shoulder as the patterning process took several evenings trying different load and choke combos until we hit it right for that gun.

All of this can be avoided if you access to a lead sled; I did not have one at that time so I just wore my clays vest with the reactar pad in it and I still ended up bruised and sore for a few days.

DC101 -- That's exactly what I did, I wasn't going to subject them to that much beating when it wasn't necessary and would ultimatley ruin 'em from fear of recoil.
The little bantam 20ga. with 3" magnums kicks worse than my 835 with 3" turkey loads.
The only lead sled I could find my good "friend" was going to charge me for using. So I just had fun shooting.

WyoHunter

Good suggestions from all the above! Don't let them shoot anything but skeet shells until you go in the field.  :anim_25:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!