OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Unguided Turkey Hunts....

Started by beards-n-bone, November 28, 2011, 12:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beards-n-bone

Got a question for you guys and gals I suppose....I have 1500 acres leased in Casey Co. Ky.  I want to make some improvments to the place which will take capital to do.  The property has corn/beans leased out and a few foodplots (want to add more).  It also has a lodge that sleeps 12-16 with bathrooms showers, game cleaning room, ect...  Pretty nice operation.  It has a really healthy population of turkeys ( I took 2 last spring).  I want to sell DIY turkey hunts with full access to the property with lodging included.  What would a 3 day hunt be worth?  I have killed over 50 wild turkeys in my life so I feel confident giving the property a A rating in terms of good hunting.  It would get an A+ but it requires walking up and down some hills.  You can use 4-wheelers on designated trails to navigate the property.  Thanks for any info!!

stinkpickle

I would need to hunt it a few times to give you an honest assessment.   :D

chatterbox

Quote from: stinkpickle on November 28, 2011, 01:13:39 AM
I would need to hunt it a few times to give you an honest assessment.   :D
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

gob09

not sure what that would be worth. i'd think you would need worth atleast 100-200 bucks a day for the hunter now you have to figure out what it's worth to you and figure insurence if you dont already have it theres always someone looking to sue

TRKYHTR

It depends on what is included. I think the 100-200 a day is fair for an unguided hunt. Most turkey hunters just want access to a place they can hunt and not somebody to baby sit them for 3 days. I think 300-600 for a 3 day unguided turkey hunt with lodging (no food) is very fair. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Gamblinman

$500.00 3 day, 2 night, lodging, no food, 2 turkeys.

Non-resident license and turkey permit $190.00

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Reloader

3 days hunting and 3 nights in the lodge would be worth about $450 non-guided if there is a good population of birds in the area.  I would only let 2 guys hunt it at a time unless it is a group of friends that agree to hunt more than two at a time.  1500 acres is not much land for turkey hunting IMO, 2 guys can cover it in a day easily. I'd also only allow one group per week to keep the hunting good and allow a few days rest before the next group arrives.

Turkey hunts aren't near the money maker as larger game, but you could definitely bring in a little cash flow to help improve the land. It will take a good population of birds to keep the hunters coming and lower the hassle IMO.  If guys hear birds and don't kill that's fine, but if you put them on a place where they don't hear or see birds, the hassle begins....

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: Reloader on November 28, 2011, 05:53:18 PM
3 days hunting and 3 nights in the lodge would be worth about $450 non-guided if there is a good population of birds in the area.  I would only let 2 guys hunt it at a time unless it is a group of friends that agree to hunt more than two at a time.  1500 acres is not much land for turkey hunting IMO, 2 guys can cover it in a day easily. I'd also only allow one group per week to keep the hunting good and allow a few days rest before the next group arrives.

Turkey hunts aren't near the money maker as larger game, but you could definitely bring in a little cash flow to help improve the land. It will take a good population of birds to keep the hunters coming and lower the hassle IMO.  If guys hear birds and don't kill that's fine, but if you put them on a place where they don't hear or see birds, the hassle begins....
Pay close attention to this post, reloader is correct
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

bird

Ditto

Preacher

I would tell some friends and family what you are trying to accomplish,   People you can really trust.   Then make an agreement with them to take care or the upgrades you want,   in order to keep as much of a money hassle as possible out of the situation.   

If you start selling hunts ,    you will most likely be in for some sleepiness nights ,  not much money , trying to make sure checks clear, liability issues, neighbor issues, and much much more.

Just a thought from some one you has tried it.

Money is usually more trouble when it is combined with something you Love.
Romans 8:37

Basser69

Spot on right here!

neal

Quote from: stone road turkey calls on November 29, 2011, 01:39:53 AM

Agree 100% I've seen places that have a ton of birds and the owner gets greedy and it gets over hunted manage it correctly and you'll have the same group of guys back every year. Shoot me a pm I would be interested in coming down and probably every year after. If it's a good as you say. Good luck!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

gob09

Quote from: neal on November 29, 2011, 01:55:52 PM
Quote from: stone road turkey calls on November 29, 2011, 01:39:53 AM

Agree 100% I've seen places that have a ton of birds and the owner gets greedy and it gets over hunted manage it correctly and you'll have the same group of guys back every year. Shoot me a pm I would be interested in coming down and probably every year after. If it's a good as you say. Good luck!
i may be also