OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 13 patterns...

Started by jakesdad, February 17, 2011, 06:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Ive seen lots of the hevi 13 patterns and they are impressive.Seen lots of 30 and 40 yd patterns.Anybody got any 20 or even 10 yd pattern pics?I am considering trying some #7's,but would like to see some of the closer patterns before I decide.I really dont wanna be throwin baseball size patterns close,and where I hunt its usually close.Anybody got any close pattern pics?

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

S.C.C

IMO,you dont need it if your only going to shoot to 30...save your money and shoot lead 6's... :anim_25:

VAHUNTER

no pics but at 20 yards i'm getting a good pattern. it opens up enough to give me  a little wiggle room. at 10yards not as good. you pretty much have to shoot it like a rifle.

thats with dove loads as well as Hevi
Good things come to those who wait

hookedspur

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 17, 2011, 07:00:32 AM
no pics but at 20 yards i'm getting a good pattern. it opens up enough to give me  a little wiggle room. at 10yards not as good. you pretty much have to shoot it like a rifle.

thats with dove loads as well as Hevi
Same here.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bird

Pretty much anything you shoot at 10 or 20 yards is going to give you a baseball size pattern.  If you really want an open pattern at 20 yards then I would suggest putting in your cylinder or improved cylinder choke and shooting some 3" 2oz #7 loads and see what that does for a pattern.  Personally I would stick with a turkey choke and Hevi-13 and put a red dot on your gun.  Place the dot and squeeze the trigger, dead bird.

BigHooks

joshua

Quote from: bird on February 17, 2011, 09:08:00 AM
Pretty much anything you shoot at 10 or 20 yards is going to give you a baseball size pattern.  If you really want an open pattern at 20 yards then I would suggest putting in your cylinder or improved cylinder choke and shooting some 3" 2oz #7 loads and see what that does for a pattern.  Personally I would stick with a turkey choke and Hevi-13 and put a red dot on your gun.  Place the dot and squeeze the trigger, dead bird.
:agreed: 100%
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

chatterbox

Quote from: bird on February 17, 2011, 09:08:00 AM
What Al said. There is no wiggle room at 10 yards with any turkey choke. I personally would'nt limit myself to close in shots, thus sacrificing my 40 yard ability. Shawn is right. At 20, most are going to open up enough that there is some wiggle room. Best advice is see what your gun does at 20, 30, and 40 yards if you really want to know.