Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question for all you turkey killin' gurus.....

Started by chatterbox, November 25, 2011, 04:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

For the last two deer seasons, I have run across a decent flock of turkeys that seem to always come from the same place down in the woods. They have been following the same path through the woods. I have run across them the last two times while deer hunting this area.
Now I have just gained permission to cross property which makes it far easier for me to access this area.
My larger question is would this area be worth hunting in the spring? I know that they do have different ranges in the spring than in the fall, but if any guys here have any advice, I'm all ears!

Gamblinman

Generally..Yes..I've killed many a turkey on the same ground in the fall and spring. If the area they inhabit supplies them with their needs year round, and they feel secure, they'll be there year round.

Follow their progress through the year is the only true way to know though.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Tail Feathers

I'm no guru, but they may move in the spring but will be in the same genereal area.  But yes, scout that area in the spring and go after 'em! :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Jay

Agree on the General area, but they will move their roost area around depending on the severities of your Winter weather/food source. I can usually locate them fairly easily in the Spring by scouting early. Only one group have I NEVER found from their Winter grounds to their Spring Roost area. Totally drove me nuts for a few years till I finally just gave up looking. Has to be at least a 2 mile difference between Spring and Fall roost on that group.

GobbleNut

Let me preface these remarks by stating that I, in no way, shape, or form, claim to be a "turkey killin' guru", but I will give you my best advice based on many years of experience hunting quite a few places....

My theory about spring gobbler hunting is pretty straight forward and simple.  Find gobbling turkeys to hunt.  In most places in and around the spring season, gobblers will gobble some during the first hour after daylight, even if they will not gobble at any other time of the day. 

If you go to that spot at daylight a day or two during the week before the season, get where you can hear well, and wait for a while, if those turkeys are around, they will likely gobble a few times.  If you don't find them there, then look for other places to hunt where you do find them using that method.  If you do not hear gobblers gobbling on their own, then try an (effective) locator call during that same timeframe, but don't overuse locators. 

In my opinion, most hunters that know the basics of hunting and calling in the spring are unsuccessful not because of how they are hunting and calling, but because of where they are hunting.  Find a good spot to hunt that has gobbling birds, obtain permission to hunt there, if needed, and then apply good fundamental hunting and calling skills, and you will eventually be successful.   

That's pretty much the long and short of it.   

chatterbox

Thank you for all the replies, gentlemen! :icon_thumright:
I figure now that I have permission to cross the property, I can at least hit the logging road alot easier to listen for any gobbling come spring!

guesswho

No guru, but if the area has food and good cover for nesting in the spring then I'd spend a day or two hunting it.   If their not there they won't be far!  Chances are good they will at least be within ear shot.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Struttinhusker

I hunt deer and turkeys from a ground blind on the same spot on one of my farms.  The past two deer seasons, but not this one, a flock of 15 or more longbeards roosted right behind me.  If they pitched down my way, they provided lots of entertainment before going their way. In the spring, a few of them sometimes roost in the same general area.  If they gobble, I know they are there; if they don't, I assume they're not.  But even if they are not, they often come wandering through later in the day.  I have become a wait and let them come to me turkey hunter.

Fullfan

"Seeing a good flock is cause for increased optimism for the coming spring but no sure bet. A flock of turkeys in the fall can be every turkey for several miles around and dispersed over the same big area"
There ya go...
Don't gobble at me...

stinkpickle

Quote from: Fullfan on November 25, 2011, 11:25:26 PM
"Seeing a good flock is cause for increased optimism for the coming spring but no sure bet. A flock of turkeys in the fall can be every turkey for several miles around and dispersed over the same big area"
There ya go...

Yep...I've hunted several farms that were loaded with birds in the fall, but were dead silent when spring rolled around.

BOFF

No guru either, but the flocks on our property move more so in the spring, to where the nesting areas are for that year.

God Bless,
David B.

Limbstrutter

One tbing you can done is this spring go out there and listen before season  . That will let you know what you have to work with . Good luck .
SuperX3 12Ga
SuperX3 20Ga
Mission MXB 320
Parker Tornado F4

TRKYHTR

Quote from: guesswho on November 25, 2011, 06:20:04 PM
No guru, but if the area has food and good cover for nesting in the spring then I'd spend a day or two hunting it.   If their not there they won't be far!  Chances are good they will at least be within ear shot.

If you have killed 100+ turkeys in any 10 year span you are considered a Guru. So yes you are a Guru.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck