turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What did you start out with ??

Started by runngun, February 16, 2011, 11:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runngun

Just wanted to ask, when you first started hunting, what equipment did you use. Lets go back in time and see how less was more.

I used a fixed full choke Remington model 11 2 3/4. Very few calls in what was called a "turkey vest". And I still managed to have a good time and kilt a few turkeys. Wish I still had that gun lost when our house burned to the ground. Before that I remember my Daddy with his Ithaca model 37 2 3/4 12 gauge, a box call and a couple mouth calls (when they were first available).

Walk down memory lane and tell us what you used !!!!!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

S.C.C

1885 WH Davenport 12ga. single shot...Still have and use!!!
3" Winchester Super X paper #4.....Still have and use!!!
Handmade slate and peg and just the small part of a jake wingbone with cupped hands for the sound chamber...upgraded sense then on the calls!!

redarrow

1100 with a mod. choke. Then 1187 SP switched to 870 12 ga. Now I shoot a Benny Nova 20 ga.

joshua

Mossy 835 with 3.5" Win. #5s(the red shells).  Used the factory xx full turkey choke that came with the gun for years. 
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

knightrider

sears and roebuck 12 gauge with the ole poly choke bolt action, and a box call

Skeeterbait

Winchester model 50 semi-auto, glossy stock and bright blue, Remington Peters High brass 2.75" #4.  Woodland camo and a pair of Lynch Birmingham Boxes.  Still have the gun and the boxes.

SR1

Stevens SxS with 2 3/4 high brass win #6 pheasent loads  :z-guntootsmiley:
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

HOOKS1

Winchester Model 12 2 3/4" 12 gauge with Federal #5s.

stinkpickle

On my first hunt, I carried a 20 gauge Winchester ranger pump with fixed modified choke loaded with some Federal 3-1.25-6's.  No vest...just a pair of Trebark coveralls, cap, face mask, and hat.  I only had one call...a Perfection double-reed on which I tried to mimic everything I heard in an old Paul Butski / Billy McCoy video. 

mcgruff1533

My first Turkey hunt was done with my Remington 870 Wingmaster.    Highly polished 26" blue barrel and glossy wood stock with a 2.75" chamber.      The choke was a Remington Super Full (unknown exit diameter) since it's not marked and I bought it second hand.

Shells were Winchester Supreme 2.75", 1.50 oz, #4 Pb.

My call was a hand me down H.S. Strut double slate pot call that was used and abused by it's previous owner.

Despite the less than stellar equipment, I still managed to kill a smaller Tom on opening morning.   I was hooked after that experience.

paladin

Same as Joshua ....mossy 835 copper plated  #5 3.5" win supreme
"have gun-will travel"

VAHUNTER

i had a couple old single barrels. but my first turkey slayer that actually had a pretty good choke left in the barrel was a model 37 Winchester
Good things come to those who wait

hookedspur

Stevens mod 311 with a fiberglass stock. Kicked my head off.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

pullit

BrowningGuy88

I started with my Remington 870 Express Magnum 20 Gauge youth model that I still use, but I had it and killed turkeys with it every year for about 6 years before I ever did anything other than just shoot it. I used the extra full rem-choke it came with and Winchester Supreme 3" #5's.

This year I am going out with my new Model 12 30" full choke with 2 3/4" chambers. It will almost be a step back in time.

Daman