OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Do Hevi13 #6's and Mag Blends give More Consistent Patterns, than Hevi13 #7's?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, November 18, 2011, 02:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

A bunch of folks were upset last year, because there seemed to be a drop off in the pattern performance of the #7's from batch to batch.

My question is, does it seem that the #6's and/or Mag Blends are any more consitent than the #7's?

I suppose another question might be, would you rather be shooting 170-220 more consistently, or 200-350 less consistently? :TrainWreck1:

davisd9

I bought a box of 7s then decided to trade them for Mag Blends so I am not really sure what the Hevi 7s will do.  I shot Hevi 6s last year in my older 835 with a star dot and got between 160-215 consistantly.  I know have a new 835 and will be using Mag Blends and have only patterned it once but I got 176 hits.  I personally would rather have a pattern of 170 - 220 consistantly because I believe that is a better hunting pattern.  When you are shooting 250 plus then at 15 yards there is hardly no room for error where as a pattern of 175 gives you as little room.  I do not know about others but I still get the pounding heart and shakes when he comes out on me so I need that little bit of room.  I am also famous for pulling the gun a bit. Each his own I guess.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

West Augusta

My 870 prefers MagBlends over #6's or #7's.  I don't plan on changing until EM does.  It throws 265 at 40 yards.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

stinkpickle

Quote from: davisd9 on November 18, 2011, 07:11:58 AM
...When you are shooting 250 plus then at 15 yards there is hardly no room for error where as a pattern of 175 gives you as little room...

That's only if you're comparing the same shot size and payload.  250/10" with #7's and 175/10" with #6's will likely give you similar wiggle room at 15 yards.

mossy835

Quote from: stinkpickle on November 18, 2011, 10:24:30 AM
Quote from: davisd9 on November 18, 2011, 07:11:58 AM
...When you are shooting 250 plus then at 15 yards there is hardly no room for error where as a pattern of 175 gives you as little room...

That's only if you're comparing the same shot size and payload.  250/10" with #7's and 175/10" with #6's will likely give you similar wiggle room at 15 yards.

I have to agree with you. That being said I would and do take 6, 7, and mag blend in the field and will use which ever one I put in the chamber with confidence after seeing my patterns at 25, 30, and forty yards. The fun for me is trying the loads and then bagging the turkey with one of the above three loads. Good luck.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I'm a fan of all three of the 3" 2 ounce EM offerings mentioned.

But there were some hot emotions expressed in a few threads last year, referencing a decline in patterns with the #7's, which I believe was finally attributed to a wad change by EM.

I'm curious if, after some saw a decline in performance with the #7's, they had any better luck with the #6's or Magnum Blend?

Which of the three loads seems to be the most consistent shell, shot after shot?

After trying the #7's in 4 different chokes, I saw one great pattern, two nice patterns, and a crappy pattern.  I blamed the crappy pattern on that just not being the right choke for the #7's in my rig, but another forum member or two got good patterns with the same choke in the same gun.  Perhaps one of the #7's I tried was a $4 dud?

surehuntsalot

I have a small stockpile of the 6's,so I will be shooting them for awhile
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: JohnDoe on November 18, 2011, 09:14:27 AM
I think if you took the time and found the best choke for your gun and each shot size, you will find #7 more consistent. If you say my gun and choke like X size better you are not getting the true pic. You may be very happy with your pattern, but may not be maximizing your rigs true potential.

Before I took to TSS, I picked the shot size I wanted to shoot then got the choke that gave me the best pattern with that size shot. Most on the site get a choke and find the best shot for it. Just a different path to the same place.

A DEAD TURKEY

John

I agree. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Hal,

I would be pretty much content if I had most of all my pellets be able to puch through the head and neck of a turkey at 40yds.  But I do see your point in your TSS way of thinking.  LOL!  Happy Thanksgiving my friend. 

Brad

LBSS

I just ordered a box of heviduck 1 3/4 oz #6s after readin they all use the same denzity shot now. So I'm hoping to see a good % improvement over my lead 4s.

LBSS

I seen a pattern of heviduck out of a 20 GA with a. 555 choke put 150 hits in a 10" @ 40 yards. 6s