turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

trail cam decision

Started by Richyb, November 16, 2011, 09:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richyb

I am thinking of buying either the Moultrie d50 5mp flash camera or the wildgame innovations z4 4mp flash camera. Has anyone here had any experiance with either of these? any input would be great thanks .

Cove

chasinggame.com will answer all your questions concerning trail cameras. If I remember correctly the wildgame cameras were having bad whiteouts at the transition times of the day.

lightsoutcalls

I have a Moutrie M80 camera.  It is the first I have owned, and will likely be buying a different brand next time.  It just doesn't have as quick a reaction time as I would like. The photo quality on pics taken is good, just think it missed pics for some reason. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

scoot12

I have a wildgame innovations ir4 cam I purchased last year and so far it has been a great cam,  good trigger speed, nice pics and not bad on battery life.  I found it on sale for $69 and for a cam under $100 it has been good.  I have learned that you really get what you pay for with trail cams and it is often hit and miss with the cheaper models.  I must have got a good one.  This cam is reviewed pretty good for the price.  Scoot

longspur

I like homebrews, however I would like to have one with a plotwatcher mode. Trophycams have a good track record.

barry

Check out Spypoint cams, they're affordable and take great pics.
Check out my post here about Coyotes & Hawks to see some pics

njdevilsb

I have only ever used 2 brands, and I will say that I will never own another one from Wildgame Innovations.  My dad got a Moultrie for his birthday once and it worked great.  He went and picked up 2 Wildgame cameras, and you were lucky if they took a picture that wasn't all white.  They never even made it to the woods before we took them back.  He then purchased 2 more Moultries and we haven't had a problem yet.  I'm sure some others may have better trigger speeds and better quality than the ones we use, but this is just my observations from our experiences. 

Spring Creek Calls

I have a wildgame inv. game cam and have had good luck with it. Both day and night pics are good, not great. I had one damaged in a lightning storm early fall while still under warranty and was replaced, no questions asked. I do admit it's the only one I have, so nothing to compare, but it works fine for me.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Reloader

I'm running 6 Bushnell Trophy Cams, 4 WGIs, 1 Stealth, and 1 Wild View right now.  All of mine are IR and I would suggest you think about IR instead of white flash.  I ran some digital white flash cams for a while and they seemed to scare the heck out of the deer when the flash went off.  I've had several guys tell me that WF didn't bother the deer where they hunt, but I've heard many more say the same as what we found.  The pics would just fall off to nothing and we'd rarely get pics of the same deer.  After swiching to IR the pic #s stay consistent and even mature deer come back by the cams over and over.

The Stealth is my second and both were crappy cams.  I've had 3 WVs and probably wouldn't buy another.  The WGIs are pretty good cams, I really can't say anything bad about them.  I like the Bushnell TCs for the price.  The TCs have the longest battery life and quickest trigger speed.  You can find the 2009 model TCs for $129 on the net.  Cabelas had the camo 5MP '09 TCs for $129 just a few weeks back and may still have some in stock.

About the cheapest cam I've had good luck with was the WGI IR2 for $49. The only thing I don't like with it is that batts only last 3-4weeks.  I have two of the ir3 WGIs for $60, the Micro IR version that run on 8 AAs.  Those have been great on battery life, though nothing like the TCs.  The WGI IR4 for $69 has been pretty good, it just has a loud filter at night.

Cove

I've had 3 Bushnell trophy cams. . . . all were junk. I mean, I've never been more frustrated with a camera. One of the three functioned properly for more than a week, but the screen is now not working as of last week which it has lasted almost 2 years now.

Spypoints are really good cameras, just be carefully with the distance setting or you'll get 2349872509 pics of the wind blowing.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

We run trophy cams and dlc coverts.

Have had an issue w one trophy cam but bushnell handled it in a very professional and satisfying manner.

I've been nothing but happy with both products.

Devastator

this is the first year i have had cameras out and i can not believe how much fun it is.if i was half smart i could put the pics of some buck that i can not believe that are in this area of pa..the pics i got were from a cuddeback capture and now they are obsolete.if the pics from the newer ones are better my hats off to them!

Richyb

Now im lookin at the WGI ir6 cam. it just went on sale for just 20 bucks more than the flash ones. Are the wild game innovations cams easy to set up and use ? they look like the screens light up to see the controls at night ?

Devastator

the cuddes are so easy i can use them lol

beagler

I did alot of research before purchasing a trailcam this past season. Overall, just about every review on all the cameras were poor. After talking with a bunch of individuals I picked up a pair of Moultrie M80's. They have worked great for me so far. I purchased them on sale for $119.99 each.
Never Misses