Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Home security tips (burglary prevention)

Started by Preacher, November 14, 2011, 11:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Preacher

Over the years my Dad has accumulated a lot of stuff,  tools, guns, equipment, you know stuff he does not want stolen.   He lives in an area that has been hit real hard with break-ins, theft, and burglary.   He has a shop about 100 feet form his house that he usually does not lock,   I am looking for him to get wiped out one day,  or my worse fear is that he catch some one in the act of stealing.    He has a .357 in addition to several 12ga.    but I dont want him shooting a thief and dealing with the hassle.    So what are some preventive measures.   By the way he has 2 Rottweiler( big dogs) that would not hurt a mouse, but they look mean.
Romans 8:37

FANMAN

Lighting,locks,and dogs have stopped more,thieves than anything else.

mossy835

Motion activated lights properly placed are some what effective if they have not cased the place. A loud local alarm also helps and usually sends them down the road. Dogs work if they do not harm them as most intrusions are done by non pros. A good safe for guns set in concrete so they can not cart it off (you would be surprised where we have found them in the woods).

Less liberal courts (I like the pink underware now in use in Arizona) would go a long way.

Tail Feathers

I've taught Crime Prevention for years.
Dogs are very good.  Locks are good.  Lighting is good.
Make your target harder than the next guy.  Don't advertise what you have.
Bad guys don't like dogs. :deadhorse:  Especially dogs that act/look mean.

An alarm or even an alarm sign can help.  Some folks just won't use them and if that's the case, don't spend the money. 
You can't make anything theft proof but you can make your stuff harder to get than your neighbor's. :policeman:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Hognutz

Thieves come when you are not around. A gun will do you no good, if you are not home. They do not like confrontation, it could get them hurt. They are slimy little rascals that don't want to caught or maimed. You need something that will protect while you are not home i.e. a home security system that will alarm the police if it is activated. they may get in, but they won't stay long.. My house was broke into last summer while we were on vacation. All the guns in the world would have done me no good. I now have an alarm and can safely leave the house without worry. As I said, They may get in, but they won't stay long..Good luck, my friend..Mike

P.S. A good safe is a must for guns, personal papers, and any other thing of value..Jewelry, cameras, extra cash, etc...Mean butt dogs are good to have also. Not ones that can be bribed with a chunk of hamburger..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

catdaddy

I keep the crows from stealing my blue berries by hanging one upside down in the tree next to the bushes.

TRKYHTR

Quote from: catdaddy on November 14, 2011, 07:21:53 PM
I keep the crows from stealing my blue berries by hanging one upside down in the tree next to the bushes.
I just got a visual of Preacher making a dummy dressed like a robber and hanging him upside down near the shop. Hilarious absoultely HILARIOUS!!!!  :TooFunny:

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Old Gobbler

1) Get those motion detection flood lights installed for the out side of the house and shop - they are $50 a pop at lowes or home depot

2) Get those dummy camera's they have at Radio shack - they look real as all heck and are cheap at 15$ 
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3629875   

there is all kinds of goodies at radio shack

3) you can opt for a burglar alarm system for the house - not cheap or you can buy the signs and stickers for the lawn and windows and fake it -

4) beef up all the windows and sliding doors with extra latches an pins , doors with deadbolts etc...

Good luck--Shannon

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

renegade19

Post of the day!!!! :z-guntootsmiley:

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

turkey slayer

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

renegade19

BTW, I had a thief/burglar tell me one time that he loved the houses with the security signs because it let him know what he was up against.  Of course, he was incarcerated for BURGLARY when he told me that!  :policeman: His suggestions if I remember were good lighting and what basically amounted to booby traps (low strung, hidden barb wire, etc) in the areas a thief would lurk in while preparing to hit your house.

gobbler74

Oddly enough..I've heard about that tactic..man that's funny right there.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Preacher

Thanks for the help,  I am going today to get started at Mom and Dad's.
Romans 8:37

Kylongspur88

Pick up a few beware of dog sign. They cost less the $1 at the hardware store. We have a lab that wouldn't hurt a flea, but he barks. We put a sign on the porch and in the back yard. When people knock on the door they go stand in the middle of the yard ready to run for the car ;D