OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite Caliber?

Started by 870BkWht, November 10, 2011, 09:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

remmy1187

300 wsm,   lots of bullet selection out there especially if you reload.  Plenty of power if you ever wanted to hunt the bigger animals.  Accurate!!!

Nick_The_Tinkerer

There are plenty of great calibers that have already been mentioned....I guess it would all depend on the kind of terrain I was going to hunt predominantly...

Tight woods, then short action rounds would work fine and moost are common....I would go with 7mm-08/308/243

longer range more custom I would really think of 6.5x55 AI such a great penetrating round...7mm mag my all time fave for all around devestation with the 160 grain loads.

308 AI and 35 Whelen AI are some of the most efficient rounds per grain of powder.

in any case its just fun considering all the options....what a problem to have  :laugh:

Eric Gregg

I have owned the following:
.243, 30-06, and now own 7-08.
With the 243, I didn't have the knockdown for shots over 150.
With the 30-06, it was overkill.
I switched to the 7-08 and that is the most awesome deer cartridge.
Slap perfect. 7mm lead on top of 308 casing, with the same identical ballistics of a 308. Low recoil, and plenty of knockdown. Pair it up with Hornady loads and you have yourself a winner.

Dinger

Bought my first rifle in 1974 after I shipped over for 4 years in the Navy.  Rem 700 BDL in .270.  I was a devout worshipper of Jack O'Connor.  Still have that rifle, taken Elk, Deer, Antelope and countless coyotes and my 3 children and wife killed their first big game animals with it.  I own several big game rifles, my most recent is a custom .300 Win Mag.  That's my dedicated Elk rifle.  If you are thinking of something different...the .35 Whelen (AI) and the .338-06 are gaining popularity out here in the west.  Dang...ain't it fun to ponder on the possibilities..... :D

GobblinNC

rempumpman

Remington model 700 ADL in a 280; a very fine specimen of a rifle; hope to mule deer hunt someday..................rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

gobbler777

For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Wingbone

Only own two big game rifles. Weatherby 270 and Remington SPS 300 wsm. I figure there's nothing on the planet that I couldnt take down with at least one of them.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

huntdrut

im partial to my .280.  ive killed elk, lower 48 whitetails and 300 lb saskatchewan whitetails with it and it gets the job done.  does it drop them in their tracks like a 300 mag would, NO, but that does not bother me, as most of my kills are with a bow anyway, so i don't mind watching them run off for a bit after a kill shot.  that 100 yard tracking job is kinda fun anyway!  also dig my .308, but i'd like to own a .25-06 for some reason after reading this thread. 
Remington 1187 - Jellyhead - Nikon Turkeypro

NWBama

Have used a 270 all my life. I now use a 7.62X39 CZUSA Mauser action carbine. Single set trigger. It is Great.

Doubletap

hunter-b

Dbrnmllr

All around cartridge.... Has to be the old 30-06.  It'll do anything you need it to.

bigthunderchicken

.308 is the same bullet as 30-06 i had a 7 mm that i loved. it put them down. got stolen but i love my .308 and going to get another 7mm.
Chase

catdaddy

Quote from: Doubletap on February 26, 2012, 05:15:50 PM
Quote from: Ruger M77 on November 10, 2011, 08:38:36 PM
I love my 308

From coyotes to elk, it will get the job done

I love my 308 too. I killed a nice elk with mine in addtion to a bunch of white tails.