OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite Caliber?

Started by 870BkWht, November 10, 2011, 09:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

Ive been a .270 owner for 15 years and have harvested many deer with this caliber.  While I will never get rid of my current rifle,  I am thinking about purchasing a new centerfire rifle for the purpose of deer hunting.  I am looking to do this sometime next Summer maybe.  I want to stay away from the 30-06 family of cartridges(ie: 25-06, 270, 280, 30-06, 35whelen) but am looking for something maybe a little different or not so common.  Just wanted to hear some opinions of your favorite deer cartridges and even looking for some suggestions.  I have been strongly considering a .308, 7x57mauser, 6.5x55 mauser, 7mm-08 just to name a few.

davisd9

The .260 is an interesting caliber.  I am a .270 win kinda guy tho. :)
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Spring Creek Calls

Of the calibers you mentioned, I would look at the 7mm-08. I have been looking at this caliber myself and like the trajectory, energy and recoil #'s. I am also entertaining the .243, especially for the lack of recoil.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

drenalinld

284, 257 Roberts, or one of the super short magnums.

stinkpickle

I believe my next one will be a 7mm-08.

shark

I have both a 7x57 and a 6.5x55, both make fine deer rifles both are customize mauser rifles. My 14 year old son uses the 7x57, recoil on both is not bad. With the 6.5 I shot a deer about 50 yds thought I missed first but as I shot again he started to squat in the back end, had two holes right behid the front sholder,maybe went through so fast?,140 gr. nosler partition.
Son klled one 125yds with 7x57 last year and it went no were, 140gr. hornady spire point.

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

wisconsinteacher

6.5-284 in a savage. Or 6.5 Grendel in an ar or custom bolt

drenalinld

the 6.5mm - .284 is my favorite

CB on the run

I have a custom 280 AI on a Ruger 77 action that will drive tacks but with the scope it's 9.25 lbs.  It does have a 26" bbl to capture the rounds' available velocity.  It's more of an out west gun.  I'm currently trying to work up a load for a Rem 760 pump in the .308.  The gun is hovering 2-3" at 100 with just about everything I've tried(all hand loads).  It's harvested a couple white tail bucks from NY 125-150 lbs and puts them to sleep quick.
  My son and another hunting companion both have Tikka's in the 7mm-08.  They are light, reasonably affordable, accurate and have a detachable mag which is a feature I really light for deer hunting.  I load a 140 grain Nosler Accubond for them which has performed well.
  I'll probably have a 7mm-08 by next season.  I trying to locate a Rem model 7 action and have my gunsmith build me a lightweight rig.  I was thinking 6.5 Grendel but it will probably end up 7-08 as I have dies/powder/bullets for it.  Good luck with your choice.

CB

Tail Feathers

I love my 25.06 but understand your desires for a different caliber.
7mm08 is reportedly a very sweet shooting caliber as well as accurate and a known deer slayer.
Same for .308 and there are so many accessories and accurizing things for .308 it deserves consideration.  I hunt a box stand so it action lenght and weight don't matter much to me.  But if I was going to shop for a new one,  I'd look at short action just because.
Have fun choosing. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

njdevilsb

I used a 30-06 for years and loved it and killed quite a few deer.  There was a problem with the gun and I have since switched to a 7mm Mag and I like it just the same.  My dad first got one, then my uncle and a couple of my dad's friends, and none of them have switched to anything else since.

gun for hire

I have always deer hunted with a 270, and believe that is one of, if not the, best deer catridge around.  But that being said, I have been looking at two different catridiges that I would like to try.  The first is an old, big, slow round; the 45-70.  Just something about a big chunk of lead at woods distances that says awesome.  The other is a relatively new round, the 6.8 spc.  From what I have read, the 6.8 has better ballistics than the 270 at the longer ranges, but is still a light kicker.  Just some food for thought.

Houndstooth Game Calls

300wby mag and my 22-250 most of the time I take the 250! Lyle

hookedspur

7MM MAG with 140 grain Ballistic tips are my choice . Very good Whitetail and Mule deer medicine.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions