OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question for those that make jerky sticks

Started by RaspyD, November 09, 2011, 10:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaspyD

I realize this may in the wrong section but I'm looking for a quick response.

I am in the process of making jerky sticks and was wondering if I needed to cure the meat before proceeding.  I plan to marinate cut up deer meat for 24 hours.  Then, grind it up before squeezing out the sitcks in a jerky gun.  Do I need to add a cure to the marinade or will the marinade cure the meat?

Thanks!!
Perfection Turkey Calls

MarkJM

if you are using a dry rub marinade it is best to use a cure, if you are using a real salty or some kind of soy sauce marinade it should be fine.
MuellerCustomCalls

redarrow

If your going to freeze it ,no cure. If you plan on smoking it or storing it is air tight container you need a cure. Marinade is really just for flavoring.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I used to not cure my meat.  But then I read that it is a lot safer to cure the meat just to be on the safe side.  I sure wouldn't want others to get sick from meat that went bad during the drying process.  So now I cure all my jerky.  

lightsoutcalls

How do you guys cure the meat for jerky?  Sorry if that sounds too elementary.  I've made some good jerky, but have always just marinated it overnight.  Just thinking about it is making me hungry.  :)
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Devastator

working at a meat plant im going to leave this to see some interesting answers!

RaspyD

Quote from: timb on November 09, 2011, 11:39:04 AM
working at a meat plant im going to leave this to see some interesting answers!
Aw'...come on.  Not everyone works in a meat plant. ;) 

Please share some good information! :thanks:
Perfection Turkey Calls

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on November 09, 2011, 11:28:40 AM
How do you guys cure the meat for jerky?  Sorry if that sounds too elementary.  I've made some good jerky, but have always just marinated it overnight.  Just thinking about it is making me hungry.  :)

I usually make about 10lbs of wet jerky at a time when I make it.  I fire up 2 dehyrdrators.  I can get most of all that meat on there, but typically have to put the lttle remainder in the refirgerator until I can clear off say a couple more racks after some is done. 

I use the REM Jerky Seasoning with cure.  I buy 2 packs at a time when I make about 10lbs of wet jerky which usually wil give you maybe a little over 3lbs dry jerky.  I think 1 pack will cure up to 4lbs.  But I feel like 2lbs over isn't going to hurt anything. 

It's the 2nd one down here in the link below.  But you can buy it how you like in the size you want.  This is some great stuff. 

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/3768/jerky_seasonings

And mesquite is very good too.  And they have a jalapeno one.

But I buy these at a local store in my area. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

If you guys want one of my favorite recipes for making jerky, I can share it with you.  But I have been making jerky for over 20+ yrs and this recipe I have is so far my favorite.  I have people all the time tell me it's some of the best they have ever ate for those that have tried it.  But I do put a lot of stuff in it.  It cost me over $50 to make about 9lbs of wet jerky.  

Top round, London Broil, or sirloin tip roast is the best jerky meat I have found.  I have used pretty much all of the different meats from rump roast to sirloin tip roast to arm roast.  If you can't get the first 3, rump roast works pretty well.  But top round just makes the best jerky I have found.  And so does London Broil.  But my meat man says that London Broil actually comes off part of the top round.   

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's a link to all the jerky seasoning they offer.  

Hickory and mesquite or very good.  I think I have tried the original, too.  All are good I would say.  

http://www.lemproducts.com/category/jerky_seasonings

mossy835

I use High Mountain Seasonings for my jerky and also to brine my wild turkeys before smoking them. I like all of the flavors so far and the fact that the cure is in one package and the different flavors are packaged separately. Basic and simple to use, slice the meat the way you want it, mix the proper amount of cure and seasoning, place in a zip lock bad and refrigerate over night. I take the bag out every two hours and squeeze the bag to make sure the seasoning and cure is totally mixed with the meat. I do not use the smoker any more as I use oven racks made for jerky making and the time is around two (2) hours. Very tender and great tasting. The only issue I have is salt content as I now have to watch my salt intake. A couple of batches will hold me through the spring and fall turkey hunts and leaves a lot for the wife to take to work. The link below is their web site and even if you use some other product there is a lot of info there.

http://himtnjerky.com/

Enjoy

OLE RASPY

I have never made jerky like what your talking bout from a jerky gun.I always and have for a long time now just cut meat into strips bout 1/2" thick and 7 or 8" long and marinate it for a couple days,pat it dry,and place them strips on dehydrator.I usually have 10 racks on the dehydrator and it takes bout 14 to 15 hours.Never used a cure.And its is delicious.It dont last long at work.

RaspyD

Thanks for all the responses!  I guess the use of the cure comes down to how long the jerky will be around before it is eaten??  In this case, not too long.  Good luck to all the deer hunters and jerky makers. :laugh:
Perfection Turkey Calls

lightsoutcalls

I did a little web searching and from what I read, the salt/sodium nitrate cure is used because bacteria thrives at the 160-180 degree range ideal for drying jerky. 
I found some info. about making jerky on the smoker that looks promising.  Everything I read seems to revolve around hitting that right temperature range for successful jerky making. I've used my cheapo dehydrator with pretty good results, but look forward to trying the smoker.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

HogBiologist

I use Hi Mountain Jerky mix.  According to the directions, you are to mix the seasoning and Cure (Nitrites) and let "cure" for 4 to 24 hours.  Then smoke/cook/ or dehydrate.
Certified Wildlife Biologist