turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Deer Hunter Falls Out Of Tree Stand.....DEAD

Started by ctwny1, November 07, 2011, 07:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctwny1

Yesterday here at Iroquois Wildlife Refuge a bow hunter fell out of his tree stand and died. I just don't know what it will take for hunters to understand to use a safety harness when in a stand. I guess they feel it's can't and won't happen to them? I also know rescue personal had a heck of a time reaching him because he was in so deep into and cover was thick in Iroquois. But he was dead when he hit the ground.

He was up 12ft high in his stand. Name of this hunter has not yet been released. How sad and this sorrow and loss to his family and friends could have been avoided if he had been wearing a safety harness.

bird

I equate the use of a safety harness while hunting off the ground to the same as wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle.  It may be inconvenient and cumbersome at times but when you do need it, its there to help save your life!

lightsoutcalls

Sad to hear about the hunter. 

All stands sold new for the past several years come with a minimal fall restraint harness.  If used correctly, these will keep you from hitting the ground.  I realize that a good harness runs close to $100 and a bit more in some cases, but it is honestly a cheap insurance policy.  Already this season, mine has kept me from a short fall, which may or may not have had ugly consequences.  I don't have to second guess what might have happened as my harness did its job. 
   I use the hunter safety system pro series.  It is likely the most bulky of any of the vests on the market, but the pockets keep me from having to carry a fanny pack, etc. in the stand.  Once you put it on, it's just part of your gear.  It took me several years to get a harness, and I just have to thank God that I didn't have any incidents prior to getting one.  If you're going to hunt off the ground, please, invest in a harness!
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

barry

I thought it couldn't happen to me. 17 years ago I fell and have been in a wheelchair since

salt-hay

I was going up a smoothbark hickory in a climber early AM last friday.  At about 18 feet I decided to take a rest , all of a sudden the stand slips and drop 10 feet or so in a split second. Next thing I knew I was hanging from my harness almost 20 feet off the ground. I managed to get my wits about me, climb up an loosen the tree strap, then shinny down to get my stand. I hate to think what could of happened if i wasn't wearing my harness.     

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: salt-hay on November 07, 2011, 12:10:12 PM
I was going up a smoothbark hickory in a climber early AM last friday.  At about 18 feet I decided to take a rest , all of a sudden the stand slips and drop 10 feet or so in a split second. Next thing I knew I was hanging from my harness almost 20 feet off the ground. I managed to get my wits about me, climb up an loosen the tree strap, then shinny down to get my stand. I hate to think what could of happened if i wasn't wearing my harness.     

WOW!  That would be scary!  Glad to hear you're o.k.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redarrow

Quote from: Creekrocket on November 07, 2011, 07:50:29 AM
Happened to me two yars ago...Left me in the hospital over a week! Lucky I survived. Im still paying for it.
Fell in 03 and I'm still paying for it too. Only fell 8 feet.

lmbhngr

The first thing I do before I even start to climb is put that strap round the tree.

Kylongspur88

Man that's awful. I have buddies that still don't wear them and it really bugs me. I have even offered to give them one for free. I put one on any time my feet leave the ground. The stand i will be in on Sat. is only about 12 ft but that's all it takes.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Old Gobbler

I would like to extend my condolences to the family of the hunter who was killed  - also to those of you I have come  know here that have suffered such tragic injuries in tree stand incidents -

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

lohaus

It happened to my Uncle when he fell out of a cottonwood with a loaded shotgun around him.  Multipe fractured ribs, torn rotator cuff and repair, broken hand that healed horribly and internal bleeding.  He still can't draw a bow back and now is limited with his ability to handle the shotgun.

Neill_Prater

A friend of mine was killed in Kansas several years ago when he fell from a stand while bowhunting.

gob09

sorry to see another story where someone fell to thier death i cant imagine what thier families are feeling right now
all these stories scare the heck out of me i thimk im goin to stay on the ground from now on

Gobble!

:jesus-cross: prayers to the family

One of my good friends fathers fell last week. Luckily he only had a few broken bones.