OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

timber cutting, arrgg....

Started by Reloader, February 16, 2011, 06:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

Just found out they are fixin to cut my best spot.  Season is a month out!  I like hunting a new cutover, but sure wish it would have already been done and hate to see pretty woods ruined.  Killed a couple dandy 3yos in that spot.  Let the scouting begin.......

Reloader

Skeeterbait

I am under the threat of it this year also.  Just hope they hold off till after the season.  Just select cutting though so it will actually improve the areas for next season.

Hope for a rainy season, it will keep them out of the woods till you get your hunting done.

hookedspur

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 16, 2011, 06:53:02 PM
I am under the threat of it this year also.  Just hope they hold off till after the season.  Just select cutting though so it will actually improve the areas for next season.
I have seen it really help an area.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

hobbes

I've never had that happend and hope it doesn't, at least not right at season.  Is it private land or the National Forest Service?

Fox Fire

My entire community has been logged out, if ther was a honest way to measure it would be somewher around 30 mile radius, no kidding.
   Some wealthy bunch of people came in and bought up thousands of acers, had a company come in and log it (but they did leave a certain amout of trees per acer but not many), my guess is ther gonna sell the land later on.
    Loggin has always been big business around here but the scale ther work'n it over now days is unreal, thers a lotta people that have been hunt'n the same woods for years but now its kinda hard to find woods to hunt in, were have'n to go farther to get past to logged out turf.
  I'm hope'n that in a few years when it starts grow'n back out it'll be a big draw for the critters, but it'll be so thick you wont be able to see far so it should make for some fast and furious hunt'n.

Gobble!

sorry to hear that hope everything works out for ya

VAHUNTER

i feel your pain. i found out in December they will be select cutting on a 9ooacre track that i have.
Good things come to those who wait

TANK

I'm a member of 3 leases. 2 of them owned by Weyerhauser Timber and one belonging to some family and a lawyer. The land that belongs to Weyerhauser used to be beautiful turkey woods.......then Weyerhauser bought the land from another timber company. They immediately began clear cutting everything, then planted it in pine trees. The only hardwoods they left was about a 100 yard strip on creeks. The logging makes great deer hunting but pretty much screwed the turkey hunting. All of that began about 16-18 years ago. They have came back and thinned the trees. The woods was just starting to get open enough for the turkeys and they came back in a clear cut it again. I understand they are in the timber business, but the trees they clear cut was the size of pie plate...........Good thing I have the 3rd piece of property!

Fox Fire

They've just started to cut across the road from the school house and some of the wood piled up aint no bigger than your wrist, I guess they'll chip it up, to small for lumber sure nuff.
If ya like predator hunt'n once it grows back out some it'll be thick with rabbits then bocats and coyotes will follow. (lemon aid from lemons. rite?)

I was look'n for a place to squirrel hunt, it was piece of woods I hunted years before and always held some good offerings, so I pulled off the road and parked, walked thru the woods about 60 yards and it all opened up, they had logged it out and left a "beauty strip" of woods along the road just to make it look like a stand of big timber and hide the stump field, it looked like a atomic bomb had went off ther.

I know peopel have to work but I hate to see the woods I hunted as a kid just wiped plum out, the people that own it live outta state and dont have to look at it, but if ther neigboor hood was to get logged out they'd be have'n a flame'n cow you can bet, "It'll decrease the value of our property and make a eye sore."

turkey slayer

PANYHunter

That stinks.  Same thing happened to me a few years ago and last year before archery deer season they put in a natural gas drilling pad.  I ended up hunting a different part of the farm and killed a nice buck so I guess it wasn't all bad.  Can't blame people for utilizing their resources though.    

mountman62

AW, Relaoder, quit griping, get off some of that money and buy your own 1500 acres and create us a honey hole, just kidding, really sucks leasing, don't it, i fear that when they start on my main lease, they will clear cut over half of it, leaving me and them other 9 folks out ther turkey hunting able to see each other in one big clear cut, maybe they will either be done before season or wait till it is over to start cutting
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

ghillie

Lots of cuttin around here as well...waterways with timber getting removed all for another acre of corn...sad site to see...no wonder there are no roosters anymore...all for the love of ethanol....the demise of wildlife ...IMHO

Patches of hardwoods also coming down near the Amana Colonies...not sure why...but I do know it's getting closer to one of my best honey holes...this action just might push some of those German speaking turkeys accross the river and over to me...we'll see what shakes out.... but it is disturbing

Reloader

Quote from: mountman62 on February 17, 2011, 09:42:41 AM
AW, Relaoder, quit griping, get off some of that money and buy your own 1500 acres and create us a honey hole, just kidding, really sucks leasing, don't it, i fear that when they start on my main lease, they will clear cut over half of it, leaving me and them other 9 folks out ther turkey hunting able to see each other in one big clear cut, maybe they will either be done before season or wait till it is over to start cutting

Yeah, sure, I'll go dig up the coffee can out back :)

This is actually on private land, which makes it even worse.  One of those spots where you don't even have to scout, you just know it like the back of your hand and know where to be.  The good thing is I found out last night they already started and only thought it would take two weeks to finish.  That's great for this season, but it'll be a briar thicket by next year.

Plum Creek ruined our lease long ago.  We used to have a little hardwood and several large pine tracts on the 8500 acre lease.  For the past several years it's been nothing but a giant briar thicket in all directions pushing the birds to cutovers or thinnings.  Sucks when you have only about 3 small areas holding birds on a lease that size with about 30+ guys hunting them.  It is harder finding a spot some days than some of the public ground I hunt.  Every time you hear a bird you have to be aggressive and get to them as quick as you can to avoid some dipstick rolling up in a truck or atv and making awful noises to get a shock gobble.  That's just not fun hunting to me, I like to be able to play the game with them. It's just fine hunting them with several other guys as long as they are respectful of each other.  For example: I roosted a bird a few years back, got there way before daylight the next morn, and parked a long ways from my spot.  About daylight two guys drove past my truck, parked right by me, and walked by quickly heading for the bird.  I gathered my stuff and made a big loop around them.  When the bird hit the ground he was eating up those guy's calling and heading their way. I hit him one time he turned and came down the ridge to me where I laid it to him.  I grabbed him and made my loop out just like I came in.  Saw one of those guys a couple weeks later and he said "We were working a bird right in on opening morning and some dude shot him right on top of us." I just said dang, that sucks.  That along with many similar stories just about soured me on the big lease.  I like to hunt it on the Youth days with Dusty, get alittle jump start on the nonsense :)  Private land or out of state low pressure hunts are the most fun to me and "fun" is what it's all about. We hunt a little on public land as well and actually don't see too many people.

You guiding on the Youth hunt this year?  Ya'll meeting up at the same place again?  

M,Yingling

Lots of cutting goes on in this part pa State game lands and forest land
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey