OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fall longbeard calling

Started by roosterpull, November 02, 2011, 07:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roosterpull

I have killed a few autumn longbeards, but they have been incidents of opportunity. None have been called in. What are the suggestions for calling adult gobblers in the fall? Thanks.

Spring Creek Calls

I've had some success with slow, course yelping and course clucking.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

woodchip

Devastator

i guess ya have to hear them to explain.have had them split up like a flock of small birds and had them try to get back together withn minutes.and i have split them up at daybreak and never heard a sound from them.trial and error i guess.

catdaddy

I like to fall turkey hunt--for me it is gobblers only. Here are some tips I can give you:

* I am not a fan of "bust up and call back" when hunting specifically for longbeards. That works great for hens and young turkeys 

* Just like in the spring---do your best to determine where they are roosting. I have had much more success in the early morning than any other time of the day when fall hunting

* I have found that in the fall, gobblers tend to be much more creatures of habit that in the spring. Try and determine when they travel and hang out

* I call quite a bit---course gobbler yelps. Another tatic I use to be successfull is to mimic whatever sound the gobblers are making. I put it right back in their face and many times I get the feeling that this aggravates them and they come to see who the heck is cutting them off.

Good Luck

FireDoc

Very well stated above!  :agreed:

Fall can make it a challenge for calling, but what a blast!

:anim_25:
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF