turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Michigan Bow Success

Started by FireDoc, October 24, 2011, 03:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireDoc

So I had decided back in the Spring to try and take a Longbeard with my bow, but without the use of a blind after having a discussion with some fellow turkey hunting fanatics. The few times I tried, it never ended well to say the least.  :TooFunny:

With the amount of birds in my area this Fall, I decided to give it another whirl considering I was out chasing deer with the stick and string anyways.

One of the other guys hunting the property gave me heads up as to where he thought some birds were roosting, so I spent the last couple of days doing some scouting and pinpointing them down. Had a couple of close calls with some flocks on Friday, but too many eyes ended up making the trip end up with no bird in hand.

This morning was perfect after the thunderstorms, and I was able to slip in quietly into the area that I was sure they were using as a roosting spot.  Just for grins, I owl hooted before dawn and to my surprise had 5 gobbles holler back at me. I moved into the spot I had pre-planned for setup, and get settled in. This spot was great as there is two smaller trees with some briars around them that gave me great breakup.

As dawn crept in, the whole area started waking up to the sounds of tree yelps, clucks and the occasional gobble. The best part was one Tom would set some others off, and it became a Round Robin of gobbling for awhile. I had one hen who was not too sure what the shape below her was, but I lucked out when she finally lost interest. The birds stayed on the roost late, and when flydown finally came they pitched off to my north. I did a few flydown cackles myself and some soft yelps and clucks. The flock was much larger than I thought, and soon I was drowned out by a large amount of turkey talk over the ridge.

I stuck with the purrs, and clucks and finally a smaller group of 5 left the flock and came over the ridge. After almost getting busted twice mid-draw and having to let off I was able to finally get pulled all the way back. This fella finally moved into a shooting lane and gave me a good angle.  :icon_thumright:

Wild turkey breast for the grill tonight!  Good luck to all of you this Fall!
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

LX_Trkyhntr

WAY TO GO!!!  Congrats on the fall gobbler! :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

hookedspur

:turkey2: Great hunt and you tell it very well !  :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice bow kill..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

nctrkyhntr

Reloader

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

hobbes

Wingbone

That's a beauty man! Good to see a turkey pic in the fall.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

CB on the run

Outstanding!  A fall gobbler with a bow.  It can't get much better.  Congrats.

CB

neal

Congrats on a great hunt and kill!!!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

GOLD HUNTER

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ILIKEHEVI-13

That is so awesome.  Great story and great job!