OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

243 in the brush?

Started by Kylongspur88, October 24, 2011, 12:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

Just wondering what the 243 performs like in brushy areas. I have a 243 that is my back ups, back up and thought about taking it along this year for the fiancé to use. I usually hunt with the -06 be it in the woods or field, but the 30's are a little stout for the fiancé. My concern is that the 100gr bullet from the 243 would deflect easily if it caught a twig etc.. Thanks.

redarrow

Your probably right. I read an article some time back that stated there is no such thing as a brush gun. All bullets deflect some. This guy took a bunch of dowel rods and shot them with different calibers to prove his point It was eye opening.

flintlock

I'd be way more worried of a gun that scared her than one which may be deflected by a twig.  I've seen women shut their eyes and pull the trigger due to them being scared of the kick.  I'd roll w/the .243!
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Reloader

Quote from: flintlock on October 24, 2011, 04:23:39 PM
I'd be way more worried of a gun that scared her than one which may be deflected by a twig.  I've seen women shut their eyes and pull the trigger due to them being scared of the kick.  I'd roll w/the .243!

+1

Kylongspur88

Great point.

hookedspur

Quote from: Reloader on October 24, 2011, 04:44:13 PM

+1
+2
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on October 24, 2011, 12:44:46 PM
Just wondering what the 243 performs like in brushy areas. I have a 243 that is my back ups, back up and thought about taking it along this year for the fiancé to use. I usually hunt with the -06 be it in the woods or field, but the 30's are a little stout for the fiancé. My concern is that the 100gr bullet from the 243 would deflect easily if it caught a twig etc.. Thanks.

I've used a 243 for years in the thick mountain laurel around here without any problems, just have to pick your shot.

Woodsman4God

Like the others say, pick your shot