turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My wife's muzzleloader buck!

Started by LX_Trkyhntr, October 24, 2011, 12:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LX_Trkyhntr

This past weekend was the opening weekend of muzzleloader season here in Arkansas.  Saturday morning I took a guy from church that hadn't ever been deer hunting before.  He had shot guns a lot, and had been hog hunting (he was from Floriday), but wanted to get into deer hunting.  I let him carry my muzzleloader.  He got to see two legal bucks, each got to within feet of an opening before going the other direction, and he got to see a doe, but as he was trying to move to get a shot an unseen doe saw him move and blew out of there.  He is hooked on deer hunting to say the least!  On the way home he said, "I'm kinda glad I didn't get a shot at the first buck".  I said why?  He said, "My heart was beating so hard I don't think I could have made the shot!"  LOL  I told him that is what it's all about and that we all have been there!

Saturday afternoon I was taking my wife deer hunting for the first time of the year.  As we are about to walk out the door I realize that she still hasn't bought her hunting license so we have to take a detour to get her a hunting license, and then we were on the way to a different place than what I had taken the guy to that morning.

On the way to the landowner's place I called him and asked if he would check with his cousign if it was okay if we hunted the ridge behind his house, (it's my honey hole!!) but we were denied due to surveyors being in there (his mom had passed and they are going to divide up the land)

I knew where some other deer were using on the ridge on the oposite side of the landowners house so we headed over there.  We set up on the ground by a big oak tree, I was planning on filming the hunt so Tricia was set up to my right looking in the direction that I thought the deer might come from.

After about an hour of sitting I noticed Tricia get the gun up on the BOG pod, I looked past her and could see this buck heading our direction!  I got the camera rolling and got a little footage of him, but he was down the hill from us which eventually put him to where I couldn't see him with the camera.  He was about 35-40 yds at this point, but the gun was still pointed up the hill.  I couldn't move the camera because he kept looking our direction.  Soon he turned and started heading up the hill!  I hit the record buttong and he was soon in frame again, but still too far to the right for Tricia to shoot.  Then he turned his head looking away and she took the gun off the rest, took aim, and fired!  When the smoke cleared I could see him running off with a huge bloody spot on his shoulder!  Just as he crossed over the ridge I heard him crash!

Tricia said she wanted to follow the blood trail on her own so I agreed.  We filmed a couple of interviews and then took up the blood trail.  She did a great job trailing him, and found him on her own.

This was her 2nd time to go deer hunting as the shooter and the 2nd buck that she has taken, both on film!!

She shot him at about 15 - 20 yards right through the heart!  I'm not sure why we didn't get a pass through, but the blood trail was incredible as it was.

He was pretty big bodied for a young deer.  I sure got my exercise dragging him out of there.  I told Tricia the next step in her progression as a hunter is that next time she gets to gut it and drag it out!!  :you_rock: :you_rock:  that went over like a  :TrainWreck1:  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

CSAW

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

mossy835

On the clean and carrying just be glad she goes with you. Great story and pictures!!

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

lightsoutcalls

Good job!  Sounds like there will be venison in the freezer.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Flydown

Awesome hunt buddy. Congrats to Tricia,She must have been wearing that Lucky Bama shirt I got her!lol

Reloader

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

vaturkey

Great Buck !! Congrats to Tricia !!  :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

redarrow

Thatas way cool  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Congrats to you both. You mentioned that the bullet did pass through. Did you recover it ? What did it look like and what did it hit ?

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: redarrow on October 24, 2011, 01:54:05 PM
Thatas way cool  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: Congrats to you both. You mentioned that the bullet did pass through. Did you recover it ? What did it look like and what did it hit ?

It was 9:30 PM, lightnening and started to rain as I was cleaning him, I didn't even look for it.
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: Flydown on October 24, 2011, 01:17:43 PM
Awesome hunt buddy. Congrats to Tricia,She must have been wearing that Lucky Bama shirt I got her!lol

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: 

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

LX_Trkyhntr

Thanks to everyone!  I'm really blessed to have a wife that likes to spend time in the woods with me!  She really loves it!

It was really funny, after I heard him crash I filmed her doing an interview.  Once I shut the camera off I realized that I was shaking uncontrolably!!  LOL  I was totally wound up!