OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

In Louisiana your cash is no good anymore, check or money order only.

Started by HogBiologist, October 24, 2011, 09:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

Cold hard cash. It's good everywhere you go, right? You can use it to pay for anything.

But that's not the case here in Louisiana now. It's a law that was passed during this year's busy legislative session.

House bill 195 basically says those who buy and sell second hand goods cannot use cash to make those transactions, and it flew so far under the radar most businesses don't even know about it.

"We're gonna lose a lot of business," says Danny Guidry, who owns the Pioneer Trading Post in Lafayette. He deals in buying and selling unique second hand items.

"We don't want this cash transaction to be taken away from us. It's an everyday transaction," Guidry explains.

Guidry says, "I think everyone in this business once they find out about it. They're will definitely be a lot of uproar."

The law states those who buy or sell second hand goods are prohibited from using cash. State representative Rickey Hardy co-authored the bill.

Hardy says, "they give a check or a cashiers money order, or electronic one of those three mechanisms is used."

Hardy says the bill is targeted at criminals who steal anything from copper to televisions, and sell them for a quick buck. Having a paper trail will make it easier for law enforcement.

"It's a mechanism to be used so the police department has something to go on and have a lead," explains Hardy.

Guidry feels his store shouldn't have to change it's ways of doing business, because he may possibly buy or sell stolen goods. Something he says has happened once in his eight years.

"We are being targeted for something we shouldn't be."

Besides non-profit resellers like Goodwill, and garage sales, the language of the bill encompasses stores like the Pioneer Trading Post and flea markets.

Lawyer Thad Ackel Jr. feels the passage of this bill begins a slippery slope for economic freedom in the state.

"The government is placing a significant restriction on individuals transacting in their own private property," says Ackel.

Pawn shops have been forced to keep records of their clients for years. However under this bill they are still allowed to deal in cash.

Doug MacDiarmid

http://www.klfy.com/story/15717759/second-hand-dealer-law
Certified Wildlife Biologist

redarrow

WOW,that sounds like a bunch of legislators with nothing better to do than create an unnecessary burden on the honest guy trying to make a living.

mbecnel

Saw that on another board friday. Don't think that will stand in court if challenged

Jay

Another example of how scarry it is with who we have in charge of this Country from the State level to the Presidency. Maybe when we get to choose an elected official, we can see some kind of an IQ test given on all the canidates ::)

Basser69

If you want to do away with the drug dealers and folks that get paid straight cash and pay no taxes, do away with folding money

lightsoutcalls

Remember to take your VISA card when you go to a yard sale from now on.  ???  I understand what they were trying to do, but think they are going about it the wrong way.  I'm amazed at how little common sense people in powerful positions have.  In order to catch the "bad guys", the honest guy has to suffer.  I can see this causing a serious loss of income for a lot of small businesses.  Lawmakers can thank themselves when more people come seeking government assistance when some of these businesses close their doors as a result. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

mossy835

The intent was most likely good but it will not stop or slow down theft and crime. If they will steal they will find a market for the goods. how do you stop an idiot from breaking into a sub station to steal copper after many have been fried already and they know it. Not afraid to be cooked alive not afraid to steal. Out here one of my PUD customers actually prevented a death by knowing they were there and seeing they were there turned the power off rerouted the load to other sub stations and still they got away. (It was my system that worked but could not stop them). In reviewing the video we could see them duck and cover anytime a car came near. Normal response time for authorities is 30 to 45 minutes. Getting these kids off drugs would make more sense to me.

CASH

Sounds like they're trying to get their foot in the door to collect taxes on anything that's sold.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

handcannon

Oh goody. Leave it to my home state to pull something retarded like this out. Unless they some of these small businesses like the antique dealer mentioned, can put in a money order machine.....its gonna hit the fan. I'm not gonna walk into a second hand store, decide what I want to buy, figure up how much I owe and go get a money order to return and purchase goods. Just not gonna happen.

stone road turkey calls

cash hit the nail on the head, taxes, taxes, taxes. they are not looking for some guy that stole 5 pounds of copper.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

shark

they are going about it wrong, here in VA alot of the scrap metal places you have to give name with id on stuff like copper. all they are doing is making it hard on alot of smaller business.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteHouse bill 195 basically says those who buy and sell second hand goods cannot use cash to make those transactions

I feel sorry for the businesses that will be hurt by this.  But I also challenge LA to try to enforce it statewide upon their citizens who buy and sell things person-to-person on a daily basis.  As long as cash exists, it will be used.  And people would barter if their was no cash.  Watch out for the Transaction Police.

mnturkey

I do not think they can do that it would usurp the Fedral Govt. rules.
A dollar bill has written on it "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE".
A sale of goods is a private transaction.
SEMPER FI

Jay

Agreed Tom. I think they'll run into Federal issues with that law.

stinkpickle

Quote from: CASH on October 24, 2011, 11:57:30 AM
Sounds like they're trying to get their foot in the door to collect taxes on anything that's sold.

bingo