OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Many Predator Hunters seem to be shooting #4 Buck out of Turkey Chokes???

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, October 22, 2011, 06:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Many Predator Hunters seem to be shooting #4 Buck out of Turkey Chokes???

I always thought that was a no-no.

I've been using a standard Extra Full choke with .040 constriction with 00 Buck.  I tried it with #4 Buck, and the numbers in 10" at 35-40 yards were about equal to the 00 Buck.

There are other people out there who apparently think nothing of using .055 to .065 constriction.  Are they cruisin' for a bruisin"?

Ctomp1974

I use a Jellyhead .695 with #4 buck for the ole song dogs. No problems yet. I have the benefit of the overbored barrel and a pretty open E.D compared to a standard bore 12 ga. with a turkey choke. I usually get 50 out of 54 total pellets in a 10" @ 40yds, with just a few strays.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI usually get 50 out of 54 total pellets in a 10" @ 40yds, with just a few strays.

That's outstanding!!!  By far the best I've ever heard of.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

LBSS,

"That thread", on that forum, is why I posted this thread here.  I wanted to hear from guys who use their Turkey chokes for Turkeys, not Coyotes. 

I've been shooting for probably 30 years, and I've never used Buckshot in a Turkey choke, because of hearing people warn others not to do it.  I don't want to damage the choke threads on guns that shoot straight, that I plan on keeping for the rest of my life.  Are we SURE it's safe, before I try it?

SumToy

We have did a lot with the buck shot the past few.  Now it is all in the gun you shoot as to the size most we have did have ran around a M to a HM.  Now that is with 00  and we have shoot the number 4 and think it may go with a little smaller choke.   Now from what I see it one of them things you set up for long shot you hit or miss in that 30 yard and in. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

mightyjoeyoung

In the 835's I use an undertaker for HS and 3" #4 buck and it patterns beautifully.  In my SBE II I throw on the Carlson's LR super steel choke and get amazing results too.  Don't like the idea of shoving all those .22 caliber pellets through a turkey choke...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

tiggere

I shot a Comp-N-Choke 2x Full with 3 1/2" #4 buck shot for years out of my 835...but I was shooting deer with it...let me tell you they do not take another step...they just get all stiff legged and fall over...never had one run after getting hit with that...I only hand tighten the choke and its always able to be taken out with only your hand afterwards...

Ctomp1974

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on October 23, 2011, 04:38:45 AM
QuoteI usually get 50 out of 54 total pellets in a 10" @ 40yds, with just a few strays.

That's outstanding!!!  By far the best I've ever heard of.

Made a mistake!How About a 30" circle. wasn't paying attention.

mossy835

In my 835 I shoot both turkey loads and dead coyote with my Carlson's turkey choke, but I did contact Carlson's first and get their okay to do so. Both loads are accurate and deadly and the choke unscrews by hand too. I have also shot almost a full box of #4 lead buck shot from the same set up with no issues but I suggest checking with your choke/ gun maker to verify the safety factor first.

SumToy

This was 30 yards with 00 winchester 31/2  out of 835 with 24 in barrel.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

3" 870 Shell Shucker

SumToy

I have a pattern with 870 i just not flood with pic unless someone like to see.  I played around with them and the smaller shoot can choke small but we run 700 to 705 with the 00.  It shoots the number one good.  I think you drop the number 4 to around  690 it look good.    That was a 720 in the moss 835 that put that pattern up and it is a real nice even pattern to me.  The SBEII the smaller bore gives a fit with the bigger shoot 00.  It will shoot good but 870 will out shoot both of them.  Now that said may play and get the others to shoot as good but they all was 13 to 14 in a 10 at 30.   I don't hunt with it but most folks say that is about what you want or need.   

beagler

I get great patterns with #4 buck with my Rhino choke in my 835. I also shoot a Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke using DC shotshells in both my 835 and Benelli SBE 2. Some of the new hevishot BB loads pattern great as well.

Never Misses

Fox Fire

I gotta ask...What ya'll are call'n #4 buck aint the normal #4 shot correct ??

I've seen OO buck, OOO buck, but never #4 buck, & why were on this what exactly is Tshot.

Thanx in advance.