turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Daughter Kills First Turkey

Started by jshively, October 19, 2011, 11:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jshively

It is nice that the Virginia Department of Game has a youth turkey day 2 weeks before the opening of the regular season.  My daughter and I were able to make the most of it and she killed a nice hen.  The hunt itself was great, but i was especially proud of her falling me through the woods, and even belly crawling to get in position for the shot.

Thanks to Old Gobbler members that helped me with advice on a 2 3/4 inch load for a 20 gauge that would delivery a great pattern.  The Federal #7 was perfect with the remington extra full choke and put the hen down quickly.  I thought the shot was within the 25 yard limit I had set for her - but paced off the shot to 34 yards.   I guess dads get a little excited as well.

The spot that she killed the bird is now called the "honey hole" since it is just mere yards from the spot that she killed her first deer the week before with her crossbow.  It has been a blessed season for our family.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

lightsoutcalls

Sweet!  Sounds like you're making memories for a lifetime.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

redarrow

Hognutz

Congrats to your daughter. That is what it is all about. Neither one of you will ever forget this day. Well done, to the both of you..Mike :fud: :newmascot:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

fallhnt

Congrats...hope you get many more.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

870BkWht

Congrats to you and your daughter both.  Im sure you were just as excited as she was.  I killed my first turkey (a hen also) with my Remington 870 20 guage and a Federal 2 3/4''  1oz load of #6s.  It was about 30 yards and she never flopped.  Do you have a picture of her and the first bird?

vaturkey

Congrats to you & especially your daughter !! Well done !!  :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

surehuntsalot

congrats to you both on her first bird
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mossy835

You now have some memories that will last a life time. Congratulations on the turkey and deer for your daughter.

jshively

You can definitely see in the picture how excited she was.

M,Yingling

Congrats to her
On deer and turkey    :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

stinkpickle

woodchip

Basser69

Congrats on both the deer and turkey!!!  :z-guntootsmiley: