OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any ejection problems with Turkey loads in your BPS?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, October 18, 2011, 03:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

My Turkey hunting rig is my 870.  Camo Stocks, non-glare finish on the barrel and receiver, I have lots of chokes for it, it shoots straight, the patterns are good, etc.

My other shotgun is a BPS, and I love it.  Walnut stocks, polished blue end-to-end, almost pumps itself, good patterns, etc.  It's a fine shotgun, IMO.  However, it won't eject Fiocchi shells for 5-10 seconds after firing them.  The action just freezes shut.  The Fiocchi Brass causes a major problem.  I've tried Fiocchi Dove Loads, High Brass Game Loads, Lead Turkey Loads, & Steel Shot.  None of them will eject for 5-10 seconds.  

Conclusion = NO Fiocchi in my BPS.  
Remington, Winchester, & Hevi13 shells eject just fine.

Has anyone had ejection problems with Turkey loads other than Fiocchi, in their BPS?  I love the BPS and intend to keep it, but Fiocchi makes some good patterning Lead shells.  I guess I'll just stick with Federal, Remington, Winchester, and HeviShot products in the BPS, and save the Fiocchi's for the 870.

I've been told that this is a known issue with the BPS and certain brands of shells.  I'd like to know what all of those brands are, before I buy any more shells.  I've also heard that Remington hulls might be a good bet for reloads in the BPS, due to the brass.

bpsmag1026

I have shot remington, winchester, federal, hevi-13, and nitros through my BPS. The only one that i had any trouble with sticking was the nitros.

stinkpickle

Mine handles 'em fine, but the only Fiocchi's I've fired out of it were Golden Pheasants.  I haven't tried any of their other loads in it....at least, not that I can remember.

allaboutshooting

I've had 4 BPS models over the years and currently have 2, a 3.5" full camo model and a 3" black "Dura Touch" one.

My first BPS was an Upland model and was my turkey gun for many years. It served me very well under all kinds of weather conditions. I think I could have taken it apart and put it back together (no easy feat with a BPS) from all the times I had to clean it and dry it out.

The second one was a beautiful walnut and blued steel model with engraving that I eventually gave to my son and one that I used to win a World Championship in still target shooting. Neither of those ever had an ejection problem with any shells.

The 3" black gun operates as smoothly as any pump I've ever shot. It's a real pleasure to shoot. No problems of any kind with it.

I've not yet shot the 3.5" camo gun so I can't really comment on its performance but it sure is pretty.

It sounds like a "brass" issue to me since you're not having that problem with any other shells. I see issues like that a lot at the "Grand" each year.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteIt sounds like a "brass" issue to me since you're not having that problem with any other shells.

I also posted a similar thread over on the Refuge, and there are many others there who have seen similar problems.  It appears that there are two different problems being seen, and I may have a combination of both.  People are having problems with Fiocchi shells, and people are having problems with the BPS.  The quotes below are taken from my thread over on the Refuge. (I apoligize if this cross-quoting isn't technically proper.)

Fiocchi Camp:
"i have the same problem using fiocchi shells in my mossberg 835, about every third shell gets stuck in the chamber"

"with my winchester super x2 it about 1 out of 10 that get stuck, i have to use a knife to get em out, neither of these guns have an issue with any other brand of shells"

"We had several misfires, failure to eject and bloopers...mosty from the 20 ga target loads"

"I've had problems with the Fiocchi's sticking in an 870 and my SBE2."

"I've seen it happen with Fiocchi loads in an 870 20 gauge LW and IIRC a friend's 870 Express Supermagnum."

"Fiocchi hulls use very soft brass. They work in some guns, not in other's. I had a SBE that hated them. Tried them in a friend's SBE and they worked fine. They do not work in any of my Wingmaster's."

"My immediate thought would the Fiocchi shells and their brass, from my understanding that's always been a problem since they've been imported."

BPS Camp:
"The hull of the case is not completely supported in the BPS. There's a very small area just ahead of the rim which will swell on firing if the shells are high pressured or the head metal is thin or soft."

"This problem seems to be fairly unique to the BPS action, both the 3.5" 12ga. and 10ga. I've seen it with Remington hulls and with Federal hulls ..... in handloads if the pressures are a bit too high."

"I've seen it with a 10ga. BPS I bought back in 1992? Also, in a pre '98 3.5" 12ga. BPS I have and in my post '98 3.5" 12ga BPS. It seems to happen more often with the 3.5" shells which operate at significantly higher pressures than 2 3/4" and 3" shells. But, if the shorter shells have soft/thin metal in the case heads, it can happen in them too."

surehuntsalot

never had a problem with Fiocchi shells in any of my shotguns
835,1100 3",20ga CD,20ga 870
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Quotenever had a problem with Fiocchi shells in any of my shotguns

It seems to be more prevalent in the BPS.  One guy claims that he has 3 different BPS shotguns which all have this problem.  My BPS has failed to eject every single Fiocchi shell I've shot through it.  Dove loads, Squirrel loads, Duck loads, Turkey loads, etc.  Every single shot froze the action.  It drove me crazy.  A switch to a Remington or Winchester shell always made the problem go away, on back-to-back shots.  Fiocchi stuck.....Remington fine.  Fiocchi stuck.....Winchester fine.

I hate this, because I have lots of Fiocchi shells, and they pattern well.  I love my BPS, but because of this, I believe my 870 is a better all-around gun.

Larry Mac

Quote from: bpsmag1026 on October 18, 2011, 09:31:30 AM
I have shot remington, winchester, federal, hevi-13, and nitros through my BPS. The only one that i had any trouble with sticking was the nitros.
Nitros gave my  BPS some hangup problems

R AJ

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on October 19, 2011, 10:44:56 PM
Quotenever had a problem with Fiocchi shells in any of my shotguns

It seems to be more prevalent in the BPS.  One guy claims that he has 3 different BPS shotguns which all have this problem.  My BPS has failed to eject every single Fiocchi shell I've shot through it.  Dove loads, Squirrel loads, Duck loads, Turkey loads, etc.  Every single shot froze the action.  It drove me crazy.  A switch to a Remington or Winchester shell always made the problem go away, on back-to-back shots.  Fiocchi stuck.....Remington fine.  Fiocchi stuck.....Winchester fine.

I hate this, because I have lots of Fiocchi shells, and they pattern well.  I love my BPS, but because of this, I believe my 870 is a better all-around gun.

I have this problem with Fiocchi dove loads in my BPS 20. After a few rounds it becomes every shot hung in chamber. Tolerance is tighter in BPS than my Mossy or Remmy 870. I now buy other shells. Fiocchi does well in my 1100s and 11-87 Remmys.

devin4484

my dads 20 ga bps does the same thing with fiocchi golden pheasant loads and its brand new gun. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

It's due to swollen brass on Fiocchi shells in my BPS.  Other brands of shells don't do it for me.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Never had my Bps jam but my Brand new 870 Express Shurshot mag turkey gun jammed non stop,It was a Piece of Krap,Bought the Bps and could not be happier,Bye Bye Remington,Junk.