Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many plan to chase Squirrels this year? What Weapon will you be using?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, October 14, 2011, 05:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I like the almost guaranteed action that comes with an opening day squirrel hunt.  After a long 5 1/2 month hiatus from the woods since the end of turkey season, it's nice to go back and burn some powder on the very first day in the woods!!! 

Although, I might be just a bit too optimistic.  I'm going to hunt a spot I found while scouting for turkeys this past spring.  It just looked like it would be a good spot for squirrels in the fall.  I'll soon find out.

handcannon

Normally, I use a scattergun. I went opening day here in Louisiana and toted my son's 20 guage youth model. Sure was a lot lighter than my 12. I finally got my new toy sighted in though and ready to give it a try. My Dad is now retired and getting bored sitting around the house so he bought some Ruger pellet rifles for himself, my brother and me. These rascals shoot through a piece of 1/2" plywood (1000 fps) with no problem. Finally found the right hunting pellet that pattered best so I'm ready to chase some of dem "Tree Shakers" as Troy Laundry would say.

VAHUNTER

i had a little work done on my squirrel gun. i use a .22 . i have the trigger set at 1lb.  great fun taking head shots at 50 and 60 yds.
Good things come to those who wait

catdaddy

I love to squirrel hunt. To me, to be a good squirrel hunter, you must have most of the qualities necessary to be an accomplished hunter of other game. You have to have good woodsmanship skills, stalking skills, marksmanship, and have solid decision making skills like---when to move and when to sit still. I heard Preston Pittman give a seminar once and he said " Give me a real good squirrel hunter and I can train him to be a good turkey hunter in short order.

In the early season, I like to use a 20 gauge double barrell. Later when the leaves are gone, I use a scoped Marlin 880 SQ 22 with Elly ammo.

This is a pic from Saturday. Cole got this red squirrel with a Ruger 22.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I hunted in the big woods this morning.  When I say that some of them were way up there, they were way up there.  Just look at the size of the trees, compared to my 28" 12 Gauge BPS.

CB on the run

I chase them out of my feeders with a red rider BB gun or send the dogs.  I don't have a taste for them.  Usually have fleas up this way.

CB

gobbler74

.22 Lr. Helps keep my eyes tuned up. A day or two with the kids gunnin with the 20 ga is fun too. Makes it exciting.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Crappiepro

Our season started August 15th in Indiana, I've been using my Ruger 10/22 with a Simmons scope. I've always enjoyed the hunting with a scope. The Ruger 10/22 is one the best little squirrel getters. Nothin beats a good head shot.

mountman62

been using a custom built slingshot for the last 2 years, has cut down on my kills, but not the fun, hard to find ones that stay still long enough to hit, I'm not too good on them running shots yet, still thinking about going back to the old 16 gauge though
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

surehuntsalot

20ga CD with 1oz 0f #6's and a full choke is what I usually take tree rat hunting,if I go up into the delta here in Ms. I drag out the Rem.1100 3" for the fox squirrels up there
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

drenalinld

Walther Falcon Hunter .22 cal air rifle with upgraded trigger and gas cylinder spring replacement. I like to hunt them after the leaves have fell off.

flintlock

Great pics guys!

Still one of my top squirrel hunts:

Flintlockin'!

Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

SumToy

17, 22 mag or 410.  I hunt them out the door of shop.  Dad has got is pecan trees and just work and shoot. :z-guntootsmiley:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

3" 870 Shell Shucker

This has turned out to be a great thread.  I'm really glad I started it.  They say that in Mississippi, Squirrel hunters used to outnumber Deer hunters, but the roles reversed years ago.