OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How many plan to chase Squirrels this year? What Weapon will you be using?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, October 14, 2011, 05:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

About 24 Hours until the Squirrel Season Opener in Central, Mississippi.  

I'm trying to decide between my 12 Gauge 870 and my 12 Gauge BPS.  The 870 has a sling on it, and I do expect a long walk in and out of the woods, but I've only had the BPS for about 6 or 7 months and I need to baptize it with a little "fall carnage".  

OK, the BPS, an XFull Choke, and 1.125 Ounce #7.5 Lead it is!!!

Ol'Mossy

hookedspur

Quote from: Hookspur on October 14, 2011, 06:14:36 AM
I don't like my squirrels gut shot, or biting down on pellets when I eat them, so I never hunt nut-monkeys with anything other than a .22.

:agreed: but I use 17mk2
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

stone road turkey calls

I hate them tree rats, they eat my pecans. use a 22 cal. marlin, cut off there tails send them to mepps for lures.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

FullChoke

Listen close Saturday morning over by the Pearl River and the first shot you hear will be my 20 gauge 870 thinning the gene pool.

Cheers, it almost squirrel season!  :icon_thumright:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

flintlock

My oldest boy and highschool bud sizing up the situation:   :)

My boys hunt w .22 rifles.

I'll be out very soon flinging some .32 roundballs with 30grs of FF.

Good luck!
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Crutch

Squirrel season opened in Tn about a month and a half ago. Due to a bad circumstance my old marlin is missing. I went and got another one just like it. I always (try to) make head shots. I quit using a scattergun back in the late 70's on squirrels. 

Good luck.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

mcgruff1533

I'm planning on hunting Squirrels once I get my boat put away for the Fall.     I love some deep fried Tree Rat's.

I use a Ruger M77/22 chambered in .22 Magnum and only take head shots.

redarrow

I used to live for squirrel season which opens Sept. 15th here in MI.Got into bow hunting deer so I dont really do much squirrel hunting anymore. This year bear season opened on the 16 th so I didnt give squirrels a second thought. I still have a passion for it and always will. Maybe next year. With the 20ga. Benelli.

lightsoutcalls

I seldom have time to hunt them, but take my .22 magnum when I do.  We hunt public land that has had an invasion of feral hogs, so we generally are looking for hogs and shoot the stray squirrel that ventures into sight.  ;)  There's a lot more meat on the hogs.  ;D
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

MarkJM

you bet i'll be out there. I love chasing them little critters. Also I'll put them in the crockpot with a sweet marinade sauce :icon_thumright:
MuellerCustomCalls

longspur

I hunt them 3-4 times a week. I use these weapons.

here's the rest of it

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

vaturkey

Other than turkey , squirrel huntin with a 22 is my favorite !! Remington model 541-t with a Leupold 3x9 scope .

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

M,Yingling

Season opens here saturday ,,going to have high winds rain  >:(       
  22 mag
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey