turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help getting started duck hunting

Started by MarkJM, October 13, 2011, 09:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkJM

Hey guys, I have decided to take up duck hunting this year. It looks to fun to pass up, especially since I have a river right beside my house. I was wondering whats a good duck to hunt for beginners? I bought a couple wood duck inserts to make calls. Also do you guys prefer setting up on a pond or river? Any help getting started would be MUCH appriciated
MuellerCustomCalls

Spring Creek Calls

If you live near a river, you should have some wood ducks. They are great eating and more than a challenge to hit when bustin' thru the trees! You can pass shoot by just waiting early in morning, but if you can float the river in a canoe/boat you'll get some great shooting later in the morning when the birds are resting. Here in MI the rivers are great late season hunting for all species. Good luck and shoot straight!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

TrophyTracker

I myself hunt ponds, rivers and swamps. My preferred method of hunting is Jump-Shooting, which simply involves sneeking around with my gun and a vest full of shells and other little supplies. When Jump shooting the rivers, I start at daybreak set up near a fallen log on a bank, and wood duck call a bit. This usually works for a bird or two. I then get up and start moving down the edge a bit, looking for pockets and ravines that may be creeks spilling out into the main river. Spots like that are good for getting the drop on Mallards, Woody's and any number of other birds that like to take advantage of being hidden by the brush and out of the open. If I am Jump Shooting, and not using my Kayak, I take a telescopic fishing rod with me that has 20lb Spiderwire on it and a GIANT Treble Hook. I use this to cast past downed birds and reel them in. Just remember to try and keep your shots rather close to the bank you are on, if you are unable to wade across the width of the river.

Here is a link to a little story that may help you out

http://www.quakerboy.info/stand_deliver.cfm

New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

muddy

Find someone in your area who is a competant duck hunter, hunt with them as much as possible.

MarkJM

Quote from: muddy on October 13, 2011, 02:32:11 PM
Find someone in your area who is a competant duck hunter, hunt with them as much as possible.

I live in PA, and in PA there are very little duck hunters... If any in the town I live in. I may be on my own on this one. thanks for the info guys!
MuellerCustomCalls

savduck

Dont start out buck wild. Instead of buying a bunch of gear, spend the money on gas to go SCOUT. You can kill plenty of ducks with no calls and just a few decoys if you find where they want to be. Go early and late.

Learn proper duck hunting etique. Many dont, and hunting near those guys isnt fun. You dont need to shoot a full choke if you almost  let their feet hit the water.
Georgia Boy

SumToy

This is one of the best ways.  Most folks will help you.  You will see what you need and the best way to hunt them around you parts.   Get you a good LM or M choke and have some fun. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

misfire

Your going to need waders, and start out with a few cheap decoys. Ducks really dont know the difference when they are flying at Mach8. Get with Sumtoy for a good choke, his LM is really good. A call is really optional, as long as you are on or near the "X", you will be fine. Then you can see if you really enjoy it. If so, next year you can more stuff. Just be prepared to lose your mind if this bug really bites you. Next thing you know, you will be like us. 5 dogs, three boats, 18 gazillion decoys, layout blinds, more calls than mouthes to use them, etc
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

TrophyTracker

Quote from: MarkJM on October 13, 2011, 04:05:27 PM

I live in PA, and in PA there are very little duck hunters... If any in the town I live in. I may be on my own on this one. thanks for the info guys!

Where in Pa are you?

I hunt the Poconos a lot each year. The Deleware river and surrounding area is where I get a lot of action and like to hunt most.
New to you, not the game
Beatdown City Fl

Gobble Nole

Welcome to the addiction.  I am in FL and we hunt ringnecks, woodies, teal, and a few others mixed in.  Be safe is the first thing I would tell you.  Waders are dangerous and so are boats, don't be too cool to wear a life jacket.  Start out slow and like they said before, scout.  Ducks imprint on an area and will normally come back to the same place year after year.  We take probably 2/3 of our birds from the same couple holes each year.  Its a great sport, I shoot cheap x-pert shells from Macks PW, they have the best prices and I shoot a factory Mod. choke.  Before you know it you will be hooked, just like we did.  Started out with a 10ft jon boat in the back of a Toyota, paddling.  Now we have mud buddys, custom built boats, decoys by the hundreds, Benelli shotguns, but it took 15 years of doing it to invest that kind of money.  There is something special about watching the sun rise and having woodducks zip through the oak trees looking for that fallen acorn.  It has always been a borderline spiritual experience for me, and if you are lucky enough to take a big drake of any species you will have something that is absolutely gorgeous.  Especially a big woody drake, God took some extra time in designing him.  Natures beauty in your hand...

MarkJM

Quote from: TrophyTracker on October 14, 2011, 02:12:02 AM
Quote from: MarkJM on October 13, 2011, 04:05:27 PM

Where in Pa are you?

I hunt the Poconos a lot each year. The Deleware river and surrounding area is where I get a lot of action and like to hunt most.

thanks for all of the info guys! I live in a small town called Parker. about two hours north of pittsburgh. I know where a lot of ducks hang out and i see them there every time i go. So I think i'll start out there. i would love to hunt some woodies. I have a pond on my property that they sometimes fly into.
MuellerCustomCalls

TrophyTracker

Well good luck, brother.

Get in there and roll that gun! There are good numbers of birds still making their way down to you, so you are in good shape.
New to you, not the game
Beatdown City Fl

MarkJM

What # of shot do you guys use for ducks? I have HV #3 steel shot, high volocity... Is there a shot thats over dose on those smaller ducks such as mallards, woodies, teaks, ect..
MuellerCustomCalls

misfire

The 3s should do you just fine. I generally use 2s on big water, 4s on smaller water.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

MarkJM

Just another question, if you accidently flush ducks the evening before, is there a chance they will be there the next morning? the ducks I flushed were Mallards. I plan on trying my luck on shooting a couple tomorrow morning.
MuellerCustomCalls