Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what do you do if you come across a bear in the woods?

Started by new2turkey, February 16, 2011, 10:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassmaster1228

Quote from: new2turkey on February 16, 2011, 04:00:47 PM
This is some info I just found on the web... Stating that bear mace is significantly more effective than shooting at them with a gun....

"In fact, studies have shown that bear spray is better than a gun in deterring bear attacks. Bear spray caused bears to stop and straight out flee over 92% of the time, and this included examples of bears foraging an area for food and leaving the entire area. Guns only worked 67% of the time, meaning one third of the time the bullet wounds actually made the bears MORE aggressive."

Opinions? Haha sorry guys... But do you really want to shoot at a bear with a 33% chance of making it more aggressive?

i gots lotta shells of all kinds

new2turkey

Quote from: bassmaster1228 on February 16, 2011, 10:06:26 PM
This is some info I just found on the web... Stating that bear mace is significantly more effective than shooting at them with a gun....

"In fact, studies have shown that bear spray is better than a gun in deterring bear attacks. Bear spray caused bears to stop and straight out flee over 92% of the time, and this included examples of bears foraging an area for food and leaving the entire area. Guns only worked 67% of the time, meaning one third of the time the bullet wounds actually made the bears MORE aggressive."

Opinions? Haha sorry guys... But do you really want to shoot at a bear with a 33% chance of making it more aggressive?

you get 'em bassmaster!!  :whip2:

bassmaster1228

new2turkey

Haha I'm hopin I don't have to deal with any bears this year, not overly concerned though.

swamp_bird89

It all depends on my mood......if I dont care about noise I will throw a water bottle or at least a stick at it and curse the animal. If I'm wanting to be quiet I will curse the thing in my mind and watch them. I bet I had at least 10 close encounters (less than 30 yards) on foot with bears this deer season.

new2turkey

bassmaster1228

Quote from: swamp_bird89 on February 17, 2011, 05:55:33 PM
It all depends on my mood......if I dont care about noise I will throw a water bottle or at least a stick at it and curse the animal. If I'm wanting to be quiet I will curse the thing in my mind and watch them. I bet I had at least 10 close encounters (less than 30 yards) on foot with bears this deer season.

note to self: dont hunt in fl

turkey slayer

Quote from: bassmaster1228 on February 16, 2011, 10:06:26 PM

:you_rock: :you_rock:

woodchip

Quote from: antnye on February 16, 2011, 07:38:46 PM
All you have to do is out run your hunting partner. You'll be home free. :TooFunny:

Stinks for me.  My hunting partner ran track in highschool and runs like a freaking deer! 

new2turkey

Quote from: woodchip on February 17, 2011, 10:25:07 PM
Quote from: antnye on February 16, 2011, 07:38:46 PM
All you have to do is out run your hunting partner. You'll be home free. :TooFunny:

Stinks for me.  My hunting partner ran track in highschool and runs like a freaking deer! 

Trip him... Just pray he didn't do hurdles as well..  :TooFunny:

redleg06

Now think about the kind of folks that are participating in a "study" like that... 

The majority of folks that are willing to actually sit down and do a study like that are hippies and tree huggers out walking nature trails or bird watching---

Im skeptical of a man that tells me he's more confident stopping a bear with a spray can instead of a supped up scattergun.

If a bear comes at me, Im pouring the lead to him and hoping for the best cause my big  isnt going to win a foot race....

Mailman

[/quote]
1 shot 33%
2 shots then must be 66%
3 shots then he's 99% dead. My sbe2 only holds 3  3" shells so reload!
I would get outta there. He would never catch me cause he'd be slippin in my sh**
One Shot One Kill

mossy835

Since we are having fun now this is what I would do and did. Then show the new rug to his buddies so they know where they will end up. Fourth shot broke his neck don't want to talk about the other three but there is some credence to pi__ one off for sure.

[attachment deleted by admin]

SR1

With my luck I would blast myself in the face with the spray :TrainWreck1: I have seen a few out hunting in my neck of the woods but they always took off when I let them know I was there.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

Peck1524

I had one that I guess to be about 250#'s or so last year during Muzzleloader season lay down in my corn pile and have breakfast about 30 yards away from me. I wasn't nervous or worried at all until I took out my phone and snapped a picture. My phone makes a loud shutter sound when it takes a picture, like a real camera, and it seemed to echo through the entire woods. The bear instantely looked my direction and I thought "oh crap". But then continued to eat for another 10 minutes or so and never gave me anymore thought. First and only bear I've seen while hunting, but I'll probably carry my sidearm this year while bowhunting just incase.  :z-guntootsmiley: