OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

what do you do if you come across a bear in the woods?

Started by new2turkey, February 16, 2011, 10:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2turkey

This is some info I just found on the web... Stating that bear mace is significantly more effective than shooting at them with a gun....

"In fact, studies have shown that bear spray is better than a gun in deterring bear attacks. Bear spray caused bears to stop and straight out flee over 92% of the time, and this included examples of bears foraging an area for food and leaving the entire area. Guns only worked 67% of the time, meaning one third of the time the bullet wounds actually made the bears MORE aggressive."

Opinions? Haha sorry guys... But do you really want to shoot at a bear with a 33% chance of making it more aggressive?

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Hognutz

Quote from: new2turkey on February 16, 2011, 04:00:47 PM
This is some info I just found on the web... Stating that bear mace is significantly more effective than shooting at them with a gun....

"In fact, studies have shown that bear spray is better than a gun in deterring bear attacks. Bear spray caused bears to stop and straight out flee over 92% of the time, and this included examples of bears foraging an area for food and leaving the entire area. Guns only worked 67% of the time, meaning one third of the time the bullet wounds actually made the bears MORE aggressive."

Opinions? Haha sorry guys... But do you really want to shoot at a bear with a 33% chance of making it more aggressive?
I read where a tour guide was walking with some folks and when asked what bear poop looked like, he said ''It is a large pile that has cloth and buttons in it and it smells like pepper''.. As in spray.. :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

TrackeySauresRex

Let it pass if far enough away..If there down wind most likely they will spook and run away.

About 5 years ago while turkey hunting in Susquehanna Co. Pa. Ware there's lots of turkey........ and Bears! 

One morning I started my journey at dark thirty. I had a good half hour walk before it started to get light. As I made my way down the face of the mountain. The sky began to lighten. That is when I heard the first gobbles  ;D. I new I had to hot foot it down towards the birds. I didn't want to get caught slipping through the woods as it got lighter. That's when it happened! right in front of me no more than 40 yards away I had treed two baby cubs. With the wind in face. The mother then stood up and tried to suck me through her nose as she eyeballed me  :help: You talk about a puckerfactoring experience  :o..I slowly eased my gun off my shoulder (just in case) as I began to moon walk it outta there. Keeping my eyes on her all the way out.
I was lucky that day!  ;D
O-Yea... the turkeys got away too..
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

SpitanDrum

I run into bears every spring. For the most part they go the other way as soon as they get wind of you. Do not rely on them seeing you as they have very poor eyesight. I have walked into a sow and cubs on several occasions and they clear out pretty quickly. If they get to close for comfort, fire a shot into the ground, they will quickly move out.

BigHooks

I live in eastern Tenn. They are some bears here. From experience I'll tell ya what to do. They say not to climb a tree, but that's the best thing to do. Because when it climbs up after ya his face is the only thing in front of you. Perfect place to put 3.5 between his eyes, the good thing about that is if it don't work, pull your paints down an fell his eyes full of crap noway yo miss, it works every time.. Hope this HELPS...LOL...

Bonjour

If I lived in bear country. I would just take Jay with me. I know they won't catch me for sure. I'll make sure to throw a steak in his vest for him too.  :TooFunny:

new2turkey

antnye

All you have to do is out run your hunting partner. You'll be home free. :TooFunny:

hookedspur

Quote from: Hognutz on February 16, 2011, 10:58:08 AM
My buddies grandpa told us once..If you see a bear in the woods. Watch him. If he takes a step, you take a step. If he takes two steps, you take two steps. Then, when you get face to face with him, reach into your pants and rub some poop in his eyes. Then you run like heck. When we asked about the poop, he says ''don't worry, it will be there''.

On a serious note, a bear will more than likely run away when he sees you. Unless they are threatened, or as Red said, with cubs. In either case, you don't want to be around to see what's about to happen. Back out the way you came in, and with as little commotion as possible. Mike
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

chatterbox

Quote from: Bonjour on February 16, 2011, 06:47:31 PM
If I lived in bear country. I would just take Jay with me. I know they won't catch me for sure. I'll make sure to throw a steak in his vest for him too.  :TooFunny:
You could be in trouble Ryan if that hoverround has nitrous attached! :TooFunny:

Bonjour

Quote from: chatterbox on February 16, 2011, 07:46:04 PM
Quote from: Bonjour on February 16, 2011, 06:47:31 PM
You could be in trouble Ryan if that hoverround has nitrous attached! :TooFunny:
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

schuylkillspur

You hav nothing w/o FAITH

Crutch

Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

new2turkey