turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many clicks at 50?

Started by Kylongspur88, October 12, 2011, 05:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

I have a scope I put on the muzzleloader. It has 1/4 moa adjustments, but I only have a 50 yard sight in spot at this time. I ran my load through a ballistics program so I know how high I need to be at 50, but don't know how many clicks at 50 equal 1/4 inch and so on. I think 8 clicks at 50 equals 1 inch?? I don't know thought I better ask.
thanks

Ol'Mossy

Hognutz

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on October 12, 2011, 05:22:30 PM
I have a scope I put on the muzzleloader. It has 1/4 moa adjustments, but I only have a 50 yard sight in spot at this time. I ran my load through a ballistics program so I know how high I need to be at 50, but don't know how many clicks at 50 equal 1/4 inch and so on. I think 8 clicks at 50 equals 1 inch?? I don't know thought I better ask.
thanks
Just a little heads up. If you sight a rifle 2'' high at 50 yards, it will probably be 4''-6'' high at 100 yards. This is true for most shells. The reason is, that the scope and the barrel are not on the same plane. The scope is obviously more than an inch, probably two, above the centerline of the barrel. If I sight a 30-06 dead nuts at 50 yards, it will shoot 1 1/2''- 2'' high at 100 yards. All I'm saying is that if it was me, and I have sighted in many, I would sight it in dead nuts at 50 and go from there. It is obviously best to shoot at 100, but if you can't you may be better off going dead nuts at 50. Trust me on this..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Devastator

yep your right on the clicks,most scopes are moa for 100 yards.good luck.

Kylongspur88

Thanks for the replies. I have it sighted in with open sights, but over the past few years my eyes have gotten a little worse so those right at dawn and dusk shots with open sights aren't as easy. The scope should remedy that.

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: Hognutz on October 12, 2011, 06:09:05 PM
thanks
Just a little heads up. If you sight a rifle 2'' high at 50 yards, it will probably be 4''-6'' high at 100 yards. This is true for most shells. The reason is, that the scope and the barrel are not on the same plane. The scope is obviously more than an inch, probably two, above the centerline of the barrel. If I sight a 30-06 dead nuts at 50 yards, it will shoot 1 1/2''- 2'' high at 100 yards. All I'm saying is that if it was me, and I have sighted in many, I would sight it in dead nuts at 50 and go from there. It is obviously best to shoot at 100, but if you can't you may be better off going dead nuts at 50. Trust me on this..Mike

I always sight mine it at 1" high at 50 yards because all of my shots are 50 yards or less where I hunt, pretty darn thick. I shoot a 270

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I deer hunt with a .50 caliber CVA Wolf, in a place where my shooting lane is 100 yards max.  I sight in dead-on, to no more than an inch high at 30-35 yards.  I find every deer I shoot.

xarcher

I have found ballistics programs to be very reliable to help with long range stuff (up to 500 yards).  But it is always a good idea to verify in the field.  I know you said you only have a 50 yard range now, but try to find a 100 yard range and shoot a couple or three to be sure.  It also gives you the confidence to know you can make that shot at 100.  Good luck

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

BigHooks

You really need to find 100 yards to shoot but if not you have to double the clicks at 50 yards with the scope your using.

Woodsman4God

Quote from: Hognutz on October 12, 2011, 06:09:05 PM
thanks

Not that I have used them but I agree to sight my 270 in at 200 yds dead nuts its something like -1 inch at 37 which is about 1.4 high at 100 yards if I remember correctly, those tables are fairly reliable  to get you close in hte field

Hognutz

That is good info, Woodsman, and it is so true. At 50 yards, the line of sight and the bullet trajectory have not coincided yet.

Reloader

One should at the very least zero a scoped rifle or Mler at 100yds.  I zero scoped MLers shooting sabots at 150 and rifles at 200 or 250.  Not a bad idea to check both out to the max range you intend to shoot.

Had this discussion with a relative Friday night.  I've told him time and time again to quit sighting his rifles in at 50yds.  Last year he missed a deer twice at 180yds and my first words were how's that 50yd zero treating ya?

This year he stretched it out to 75yds.  I simply shook my head.

Lets all pattern our turkey guns at 20yds and shoot at turkeys at 50.  Same concept.

No disrespect twds the original poster.

Hognutz

Kylongspur88

Found a place to shoot at 100+. I will be heading there hopefully this weekend. It's geeting hard to find places or people that will let you shoot. Thanks for the replies...

Hognutz

That's good news..Good luck...