OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

tracking device (up date)

Started by VAHUNTER, October 09, 2011, 07:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAHUNTER

when i caped out my bear i found a small tracking device under his hide. i took it to our local DNR yesterday. the warden was very interested in this. he said he would do everything possible to find out any information that he can.it will be real cool to find out the history of my bear

i contacted DNR on Sunday. (my neighbor)
i got a phone call yesterday telling me that i had harvested a Yankee bear lol.
seems that my bear was from Maryland. he was part of a study on range and travel routes. this tiny device had been put in him as a cub .
The biologist in Maryland wanted my contact info so he can send me all records and info that they have collected on my bear.
what a cool thing to happen!!! i will find out the exact age,where he was born,and how far he had come to reach his final destination. i will add more updates as i receive them :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

neal

Pretty cool! I've seen them with collars on and have killed them with ear tags. I killed one that was trapped on June 1st and was moved 100 miles away I killed it on Oct. 2nd and it had moved 60 miles back towards its trap site, don't think he would've made it home that fall but by the next summer he would've been home. Congrats on the bear.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

gotcha

Was the circus in town?

Just kidding,it will be interesting to find out the details.A random chip,a relocated problem bear or whatever the case.We tag fish{mostly billfish}and the recapture info is always interesting.Will be watching for the answer.

gobbler74

That's probly fed a lot of info on travel routes and such....also a good tool against poachers.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

VAHUNTER

Quote from: moore on October 12, 2011, 01:41:12 AM
my buddy said here in mn we cant even harvest collars bears
there was no collar. this device was injected under the hide

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

barry

That adds a little more to your "trophy"
Be glad to see the record of his travels

mossy835

Get your rug made frame the information and you will have years of conversation on this. What a great experience for you!!!

Old Gobbler

Very Cool !!! Try and see if you can keep the tracking device when they are done with it , one heck of a trophy !!
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

longspur

interesting. be sure and keep us updated

turkey slayer

HogBiologist

Here in Louisiana they inject ID Chips under the skin on bears captured or released.   LDWF has scanners that are used when a bear is trapped or hit by vehicles.  Kind of like ID chips used in pets to help find lost pets. 
Certified Wildlife Biologist

VAHUNTER

Quote from: LaBiologist on October 14, 2011, 04:17:16 PM
Here in Louisiana they inject ID Chips under the skin on bears captured or released.   LDWF has scanners that are used when a bear is trapped or hit by vehicles.  Kind of like ID chips used in pets to help find lost pets. 
i think this is about the same thing. the chip was sent back to Maryland. they will be scanning it and contacting me