OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Just got back from Reelfoot.......

Started by pappy, October 08, 2011, 08:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

Well, we spent the entire day at the Custom Callmakers and Collectors of America "callmakers" duck calling contest...I entered three calls, but only placed a meager 4th 6th and another 6th....which was a little let down, but after all is said and done, I wouldn't have changed this day for a dozen medals and ribbons......as we were getting ready to leave, my grandaughter, Lindsey Grace McWaters, who is nine, was playing one of my calls as we walked along, then we heard someone hollering at us, come to find out they heard her and wanted her to be in a Youth Calling Contest....now know this, even though she has been around us with calls all her life, she has NEVER actually played one, especially good enough to enter into a calling contest. But, I thought what a way to encourage her....so we signed up, she joined the group (only girl in the bunch) listening to the coordinator explain the rules and I am thinking this may be too much for her to absorb, again to my surprise she soaked it up like a sponge. 
When it came time to call, they had the groups separated by ages, she was in the the first group, (5) altogether, they called her name second to last, she stood up there like a pro........went through the 30 second warm up, and at the signal, went into her little routine, I WAS BLOWN AWAY, everyone was asking how long she had been calling....I said "officially today" ...it was over and they tallied the scores.....SHE TOOK SECOND PLACE IN HER DIVISION........WOW.......she strutted like an old gobbler, she received a new duck call by one of the callmakers a t-shirt and a para-chord arm band and an audience of hoots and whistles.....I WILL NEVER EVER FORGET THIS DAY......I AM SO PROUD OF HER, AND AFTER IT WAS ALL SAID AND DONE.... she hugged me around the k neck and told me she knew she was gonna take second place......as soon as I can I'll post pics, and video of her blowing the call.....but I had to post this........pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

hookedspur

Out STANDING  pappy she must be a chip  of the ole block  :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

vaturkey

WOW !! Sounds like an awesome day at Reelfoot ! Congrats to you Pappy & especially you Lindsey for taking second in your first ever calling contest. Pappy, I know how proud you are of her. I know I sure would be. Great job !!

:z-winnersmiley: :anim_65: :wav: :groupwave:

vaturkey   :newmascot:

Vaturkey

pappy

well, I told her daddy that I wanted to you tube the video, but he killed that idea, said he didn't want the world to see his little girl. I have the video, but now I don't know how to post it.....
tel...573-380-8206

Hognutz

That is a real heartwarming story. Pappy, I would have loved to have been there to see the look on your face. Congrats to Lindsey for her intestinal fortitude, and her "Inhertited''calling ability.  WOW..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

ILIKEHEVI-13

That made the trip all worth it right there.   :z-winnersmiley:

stone road turkey calls

Anouther lady caller joins the ranks. good luck to her in the future. :turkey2:
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

ChiefBubba

drenalinld

Basser69

turkey slayer

pappy

here is my lil' caller.....pics are with her dad's phone so they aren't too good, but the top one is with the group and the bottom is by herself. She had to put her hat on backwards, cause she was around "the guys" and this is her "bad to the bone" stance.......gotta love her...pappy
tel...573-380-8206

Duke0002

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!  :icon_thumright:

A huge congrats to your precious granddaughter.

pdqt

You have a right to be proud. Congrats to you granddaughter.  Does she live close enought to hang around in the shop?