OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Record Books?

Started by guesswho, October 07, 2011, 07:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should be included in record books for animals?

Score Only
2 (5.3%)
Score and State
2 (5.3%)
Score, State And County
3 (7.9%)
Score, State, County & Hunter's Name
31 (81.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

guesswho

What are your thoughts on record books for scoring animals?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

BOFF

Not sure how to answer that one.

I always thought a hunter's smile in the picture, the measure of his heart, and his intent, was a great way to judge an animal.

Great to have the record of what animals may produce, just for comparison, and the places they were killed. As for the hunter's name, or mine being identified with the animal, I could care less.

God Bless,
David B.

Hognutz

I agree with Hookedspur. If it is a record, I want to know who did it.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

TnTurk

Quote from: Hognutz on October 07, 2011, 09:43:32 PM
I agree with Hookedspur. If it is a record, I want to know who did it.
x2

guesswho

I think they should omit the hunters name.  But if they did that there probably wouldn't be many critters that would get entered.   
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

barry

Quote from: guesswho on October 08, 2011, 03:37:01 PM
I think they should omit the hunters name.  But if they did that there probably wouldn't be many critters that would get entered.   

Maybe leave it up to the hunter as to whether to include his name or not.
All other info required.

GSLAM95

To each his own, there is no one forcing anyone to enter or inquire about a record or who entered it.  Good luck hunting to all who enjoy and congratulations to all who have been fortunate enough to take a superior animal that qualifies for whatever record book recording they choose to view and participate in.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

TRKYHTR

I think it's all about the animal. Give the animal it's just due. Does that sound weird?

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

turkey slayer

guesswho

Quote from: TRKYHTR on October 09, 2011, 03:47:30 PM
I think it's all about the animal. Give the animal it's just due. Does that sound weird?

TRKYHTR
Thats my thought's as well.   
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

I agree with a lot of the sentiments expressed on this.  To me, it is all about the intent of the hunter.  With a close inspection of a record list, you can get a pretty good idea of whether someone is recognizing the animal they harvested, or if they are just trying to get recognition for themselves by having their names listed a bunch. 
At the same time, I am sure there are folks that have just taken a bunch of record animals that list them solely so that those animals will be recorded for posterity. 

Personally, my one listing in the record book was entirely because I thought the animal should be listed for its own sake.  If it wasn't for that, I would have never done it.

redarrow

Quote from:  link=topic=13420.msg150750#msg150750 date=1318519052
I'm not much into record books for animal parts.
My thoughts too.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: barry on October 09, 2011, 11:28:15 AM

Maybe leave it up to the hunter as to whether to include his name or not.
All other info required.
i agree with this. around home record book quality animals are on the rise.
Good things come to those who wait

handcannon

I know when you look a state wildlife and fisheries website at the state records, it can be a good thing or a bad thing. It gives a good indication of what and where a good many record quality birds or deer have been taken. Now if your researching to do a out of state hunt, that info can be of value. If you live locally to that spot, you end up with a lot of strangers running all over you.

Giving props to a animal is what 99% of us do here by showing what we harvest. We are proud of the game we take and if it's a sho nuff biggun, I can see where getting it in the record books should happen. Now if it's some $15,000 deer that was genetically engineered on a ranch to have some nasty trash on it's head, I dont believe it should be entered. That's another subject on it's own though.