Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tree stand accident and awareness (Great NEWS!!!)

Started by gobbler74, September 29, 2011, 09:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

A hunting buddy fell off the tree tonight while putting up his stand for saturdays opening bow day. He fell fifteen feet flat on his back. He was able to use his cell to call 911 and got to the hospital about an hour ago by helicopter. I have been in touch with family and will know more tomorrow. I am going to see him hopefully. Hes definitely got injuries but right now to soon to speculate. I'm praying for the best. You guys headin out to deer hunt sat in VA or anywhere else and going up a tree remember this. Be safe wear harnesses, check securing straps for fixed stands or ladder sections. Dont use safety straps long before replacing. They break down in the elements. I cant picture any of my hunting buddies immobilized but now faced with that possibility.  
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

mossy835

:jesus-cross:Hope and pray that your friend is okay and does not have any serious injuries.

Hognutz

My heart goes out to your friend and his family. That is terrible news. I pray that he is going to O.K.  :cross2:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Devastator

sorry bout your friend.but i always use a linesmans belt for putting up stands.they are hands free.hope your friend is all right.

gobbler74

Bad news but better news.

The family just called. His back is broke. He is not paralyzed thank the lord. No known internal injuries. Now my buddy is a die hard hunt it all guy. He is ranting now because he has to eat a elk and mule deer hunt that he was going on in two weeks. Within an hour of getting to the hospital he told family to call and let another friend know he wasnt going to make the hunt this year. I bet everyone here this. If the sun is shining and the world is turning in 2012 he'll make that hunt as well as another we have planned. Main thing now is he heals up right. I love him to death the dang hard head.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

MarkJM

I'll be praying for him. Its awful to hear about these situations. especially just right before the opener.
MuellerCustomCalls

redarrow

Prayers for your friend. Been there and it ain't no picnic. I know that were it not for the grace of God that I would be in a wheelchair with only one leg.. DO NOT EVER LET YOUR GUARD DOWN!!!! It can happen to you.

GOLD HUNTER

Reloader

That's terrible, but thank goodness it's not worse.  The big man was watching out for him for sure. 

Might mention a linemans belt for putting up stands and a lifeline for hunting when he gets to feeling better.  The linemans belt makes hanging stands so much easier and safer.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Hognutz

Glad to hear that news is good. It could have been sooo much worse. Prayers sent. :cross2: Hopefully, this is just a minor setback in his hunting schedule..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

gobbler74

Thanks everyone. I was going to visit today but he is still being checked out before surgery. I wanted to take him some hunting mags and visit but want him to get the surgery over and let things calm down. I may get there by Sunday. I am keeping in touch and will give an update.

TClark

These kinds of things let us know that none of us are promised tomorrow.
Praise God he is ok and not paralyzed. If nothing else, he AND all his friends have learned a valuable lesson through this.
I pray for a quick and miraculous recovery.   :jesus-cross:
Take Care and be blessed,
Terry

College Students
http://4gcellpay.com/

ctwny1

Prayers going out to your buddy and his family. But I got to tell yea, for how long have we and the hunting industry been telling everybody to use a safety harness? But people always think it will NEVER happen to them. It will happen to the other guy but NEVER to them. Things like this can be avoided and this fall and surgery will change your buddy's way of life big time. I know first hand because
I've had two back operations myself. Your buddy is going to have a long road to recovery and keep telling him he's got to listen to his doctors. He's very lucky not to be paralyzed for life or even worse.
Prayers going out for his full recovery.

turkey slayer