OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Variation in shell performance

Started by chrismcdonald, September 28, 2011, 10:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrismcdonald

So I am new to guns and hunting with some encouragement from family members.  I am amazed at how different  shells perform in different guns.  My mossberg 500 does terrible with winchester supreme and my cousins and uncles guns are great with them, where as mine seems to be liking kent the most.  Before shooting I would have thought it all the same...lol

davisd9

Been hunting my whole life, with shotguns and rifles and still learn something new all the time.  Read the post and you will learn more than you expect.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

GobbleNut

Chris, it is always great to see someone new discover the thrills and rewards of being a hunter for the first time.  You obviously have caught the "bug", like all the rest of us.  You have made a good choice in looking for help with your turkey hunting here. 

You will get a lot of advice, some of it applicable to your situation, and some of it not so applicable.  You will learn to sort it all out over time, so don't get discouraged when you hear contrasting viewpoints about almost everything. 

Part of the reward of hunting is the learning process, especially when you have a hunting buddy or two that shares your enthusiasm.  Your choice to experiment a bit with guns and loads shows that you are approaching this process in the right manner. 

Good luck to you, my friend,....and stick around here,...and learn....

Jim

gobbler74

YOUVE TAKEN THE FIRST STEP. And you will soon see how differently shotgun guns can perform with the same choke, shell, barrel etc

Shoot and pattern and you will be self taught.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

3" 870 Shell Shucker

What a certain choke and shell do in a certain gun, for the most part, only apply to "that" gun.  You have to find out what choke and shell your gun likes.

Hevi13 will out pattern Lead in every gun, with pretty much any single choke.

Good luck.

chrismcdonald

the kent turkey diamond shot 3inch #6 I had best results with I had 69 pellets in neck and head on a target  at 35 yrds