turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Black coating on Indian Creek chokes?

Started by Philippe, September 28, 2011, 07:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

Hey gang, i just got my new Indian Creek in today, i opened up and gave it a wipe down and run a patch thru it with just some rem oil on it. At first i though they sent me a used choke, but upon a second look i noticed the blacked literally came right off the choke with a patch and some rem oil on it. Is this normal or did i get a blem?

dirt road ninja

Philippe

Quote from: dirt road ninja on September 28, 2011, 08:18:21 PM
Mine is still black.

Strange, the coating on the threads and just above them pretty much started to wipe clean and the muzzle end of it had black missing all the way around it right out of the box.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I understand your surprise, as they are an investment at $80-$85.........but have you shot the thing yet?

I'm sure they'll replace it if you ask.  I already have 2 or their chokes for my 870, and would love to have more, but the cost is a little hard to explain to the wife, aside from major holidays and such.

Philippe

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on September 28, 2011, 09:41:55 PM
I understand your surprise, as they are an investment at $80-$85.........but have you shot the thing yet?

I'm sure they'll replace it if you ask.  I already have 2 or their chokes for my 870, and would love to have more, but the cost is a little hard to explain to the wife, aside from major holidays and such.

No i have not shot it yet, i just got it today. I did however test fit it in the gun just to be sure, fits great just looks used. I shot them an email, hopefully they ahve some answers.

Wingbone

I'll give ya $30 for it if you dont want it now.
:icon_thumright:
In Hoc Signo Vinces

mcgruff1533

I have a newer stainless model that replaced an original Black Diamond that got the "splits".

It's still black, and not showing any signs of wear.    I soak my ported chokes in Acetone to dissolve plastic fouling, and that stuff has no effect on the black coating.

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Philippe

I tried to email them but it wouldn't go thru. I'm going to call them tomorrow afternoon and see what the deal is. I have a feeling someone sold me a used choke for the price of new and doctored it up.

stinkpickle

Yeah...I'd be asking for a replacement, too.  Something definitely ain't right.

Philippe

I called midway USA and as I expected they have no idea if it was used or returned. I'll find out tomorrow how it shoots.

dirt road ninja

I would call Indian Creek.

Phone:
573-824-5555
Email: info@indiancreekss.com

They will stand behind the product.

ncturkey

I would demand Midway USA pay to ship it back to them and get a refund or a brand new choke.

chipper

I've got a new stainless one that did it, I just hit it with flat black krylon ,it shoots fine.

Philippe

Ok guys, i got to the bottom of the issue. I called midway and they had no answers. So i called the guys down at Indian Creek, I have to say they are top notch guys. He explained to me exactly what the issue was and we had a nice talk about my specific setup and he gave me some suggestions and we also talked a bit about fall gobbler hunting! Basically what it is, the guys doing the finish are having some issues with the coating sticking to the stainless steel. He assured me it will not effect the performance of the choke. He also offered to have it refinished or to send me a brand new one on them! Im going to be test firing it tomorrow with some Hevi Shot Magnum blend, Hevi Shot straight 7's and some Winchester XR 6's.