turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Winchester 1300 youth 20ga.

Started by Crappiepro, September 22, 2011, 07:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappiepro

Ok guys, I need your help! I got a newer Winchester 1300 20ga. and I have never owned a winchester before or a 20ga. for that matter. It says Winchoke on the barrel so is that the only choke I use? Now what size choke tube and size shot should I try first? I got the gun for my Granddaughter and she is ready to hunt but we need to build her a turkey killer LOL! Im just lookin for a decent 30yrd or less pattern so any info on this would be great, I know Im in good hands so lets hear what ya's got to say! Thanks Crappiepro

honker22

Indian Creek shoots well out of my Winchester 12 ga.  I would try something in the .555 range.  I would try some of the hevi-13 6s or 7s.  The federal heavy 7s also shoot well out of a 20, but you will need a choke with no wad-catchers and unported.  Good luck
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Crappiepro

well, thats a start, thanks. I did take alook at the 20ga. section here and found a young fella that has the same gun and he was askin just about the same thing LOL.

Old Gobbler

The HeviShot brand  Mag blends with just a factory "full" choke shot a 80 in a 10" at 40 yards out of my Winchester 20/1300 youth-  if your looking for a 30 yard gun that might be your best bet - With a good aftermarket choke it will reach out to 40 yards "no-problemo " --Shannon

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Crappiepro

Well I have found a Primos Tight wad in .570 for $15 and a Carlson's choke in .575 for $12. Any choice of shell that may be a starting point for either of these chokes? I dont know if you can see it but I'm pretty fired up about this LOL, my grandson is wanting to hunt too now. I guess the Hunters Safety Ed course's will be the next thing to do. Im more excited about this than the night before opening day of season LOL.

vaturkey

Crappiepro

Good luck & enjoy your grandkids !!   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

davisd9

I would try the Hevi Mag Blends, Hevi 6s and 7s, and maybe the Federal HW 7s.  Those shells seem to put up good numbers over all.  Good Luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

surehuntsalot

I have one of the Carlson .575 chokes for my 870 20ga and it does real good with the Federal #7's and the Hevi 13 #6's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase