turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

lathe help

Started by KryptoniteKills, September 21, 2011, 08:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KryptoniteKills

Does anyone here have any info on Brodhead Garret J Line lathes? Specifically the bearings. I got my machine torn down and now I cant seem to find bearings to fit. Called bearing warehouses and no luck. Just wondering if anyone out there ran into this problem. Thanks, Kip

TalksToTurkeys

If you remove the bearing from the shaft you should be able to see a number stamped on it. Do a search of that #bearing and you will find what you need.

I did that with my no name lathe and it turned out the bearings are pretty popular in go carts and lawn mowers.  :)
I even found a local supplier that had them in stock.   :happy0064:

Trophy_Taker

Kip,
    Like T3 said there should be a number stamped on it somewhere.  If not then grab your digital calipers.  Measure the OD the ID and the width of the bearing itself.  Grainger, msc and Mcmaster Carr should have what you need and a lot of these sites you can look a bearing up by it's measurements.  Also whether or not it's sealed, ball or roller bearings.  Also measure it in inch and metric because alot of companies use metric bearings.  Good luck

Matt...

drenalinld

As stated above, ID, OD and width dimensions should be enough to find one. Auto parts stores should be able to help you if you find someone in there who knows anything. I would bet it is a pretty commons size.