Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Dominant Choke Maker in the "Turkey Shoot" arena? Lead #7.5, #8, or #9

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, September 20, 2011, 11:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyhole

[quote author=fountain2   fr the 90' shooters, what kind of patterns yall getting??  im just curious ans wanna see what i should be looking for while setting my gun up.  never been to a shoot before, but looking at my patterns at 90'...i need a lot more!  3o yards seems to be tough to hold a pattern of 8s for me...but there again, im not set up yet. 

yall target shooters post up some patters and distance..out of stock bbl guns.  im leaning to get a bbl built for the 500 and be done with it..then i may can hang with the big dogs
[/quote]
with my 870 that has some work done, federal topguns 8 shot at 90 ft will out 90-140 in a 5inch square.  it likes those shell best.  estate is also a great and consistant shell

allaboutshooting

Quote from: muddyhole on December 10, 2011, 09:32:02 PM
[quote author=fountain2   fr the 90' shooters, what kind of patterns yall getting??  im just curious ans wanna see what i should be looking for while setting my gun up.  never been to a shoot before, but looking at my patterns at 90'...i need a lot more!  3o yards seems to be tough to hold a pattern of 8s for me...but there again, im not set up yet. 

yall target shooters post up some patters and distance..out of stock bbl guns.  im leaning to get a bbl built for the 500 and be done with it..then i may can hang with the big dogs
with my 870 that has some work done, federal topguns 8 shot at 90 ft will out 90-140 in a 5inch square.  it likes those shell best.  estate is also a great and consistant shell
[/quote]

There is a 90' shoot here tomorrow. It's an "outlaw" shoot that will let you shoot any e.d. choke that you want, have a scope, any size barrel and you may also use a bipod on your barrel (most shooters use them at these shoots).

There are  a few "dominant" choke makers/barrel makers that are represented at these shoots. Most are small operators and make barrels and chokes on a custom basis for a particular shotshell and distance.

If you look at these chokes, they share a few common features but differ in many as well. Most are .638 to .640. Lately, drop-in chokes have become popular again. Most are 5" to 6" in length. They have very long parallel sections, some have wad stoppers and some don't, some are very smooth and some are very rough. It all depends upon the designer.

The dominant shell is the Estate with #9 shot. It's a pretty inconsistent shell but it's very inexpensive and that's the reason it's shot more than anything else around here.

If you want to shoot cards or blocks, there is a shoot around this area just about any time you want to find one. Some are pretty sophisticated, using computer programs to determine the winner and some just use a bright light and a magnifying glass.

It's all a lot of fun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."