News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dominant Choke Maker in the "Turkey Shoot" arena? Lead #7.5, #8, or #9

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, September 20, 2011, 11:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: SumToy on September 23, 2011, 10:43:42 AM
 Now just regular meat shoot fund raisers type shoots will shoot the cheapest shell they find. Walmart 100 pack most the time.   All them shells do good. Now the black hull remington or win universal just pray for the best LOL.

That's what the local fire halls use around here.  Cheap remmy low brass 1 1/8 ounce 8's.  My 835 and that old Lohman Longshot just LOVES em though!  Honestly, I really haven't found a load that thing won't shoot at least well and usually awesome...even the remmy HD 1 5/8 un buffered loads shoot tight and even.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

OK.  After joining Turkeyshoot.net and reading through the Builder's Forum like crazy, I see that the cardshooting game is a totally separate world unto itself.

Imagine taking all brands, loads, and the smallest pellet sizes of the cheapest shells that money can buy, and trying to make them all shoot like a rifle at 57 feet...or 60 feet...or 75 feet...or 90 feet...or 110 feet.

And every place you go to compete, is subject to having a different set of rules for your shotgun.  

Maximum Barrel Length? 32", 36", 48"
Maximum Barrel Diameter and/or Bore Diameter?
Custom Barrel Work, Aftermarket Barrels, Sleeves Allowed / Not Allowed?
Maximum Choke Constriction?  .680, .675, .670, No Limit
Flush Mount Only, or Extended Screw-In Chokes Allowed?
And on and on...

BTW, SumToy is a player in this "other" world.  That's likely where much of their choke making expertise comes into play.

Man.......Now I think I want a 90' nightmare with #7.5's

I bought me some 3" x 5" Index Cards to practice with.:z-guntootsmiley:

Progunner

I shoot as 640 Pure Gold around here, and my gun(a dead stock Maverick 88 Mossberg, with no scope) wins about 70% to 80% of the rounds. I have been to shoots where my gun won all the rounds but a couple. Here, we have to allow anyone who wants, to shoot our guns. It keeps someone from bringing a high dollar gun and tearing up the local boys. Most of the shoots use the cheapest shells they can buy, ussually #8 shot, but now and then, #7 1/2 shot. I go to money shoots where they use #10 shot now and then.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

"I shoot as 640 Pure Gold around here"

Thanks for posting up.  I see that Pure Gold offers target chokes in a bunch of different diameters.  Most of the recommendations I've seen, recommend .640 for #8's and #9's, and .650 for #7.5's. 

How well do you believe .655 will do with #7.5's from 60' to 90'?  Will .655 hang with the crowd in a good shooting 12 gauge?

Progunner

I shoot the 640 with any shell at these shoots myself. It makes a few more flyers than a bigger choke, but I don't care about that. All i WANT IS THE VERY CENTER 3 OR 4 INCH GROUP TO BE REALLY TIGHT. tHENM IT'S UP TO ME TO HIT THE TARGET EVERYTIME ! lol !

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI shoot the 640 with any shell at these shoots myself.

Thanks for the information.  Sometimes I push or pull my pattern just a little bit.  I like a little cushion for that.

SumToy

The #8's like 645 to 648.   Now the thing you run into it the brand shell and when it come to winchester it is what shell they pick.   They what you got then look at pattern you can look at it and tell if you need bigger or smaller.   Some will stuff is we got on that shoots 33 yards that counts how many shot in a given target and he shoots one of the duck chokes.  It shoots as good as the small chokes.  Now that was one maid me scratch my head.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteSome will stuff is we got on that shoots 33 yards that counts how many shot in a given target and he shoots one of the duck chokes.  It shoots as good as the small chokes.

When I first got my BPS, I patterned High Brass #7.5 at 30 Yards, and 3" Magnum #5 at 35 Yards, with 2 different chokes, a .700 Dead Deer choke and a Star Dot (.676? to .682?).  The 10" pattern numbers for #7.5 were within 1 to 2 pellets at 30 Yards, and the 10" pattern numbers for #5 were within 1 to 2 pellets at 35 Yards, for both chokes.  Extra constriction didn't improve the pattern with either load.

So now I can believe just about anything regarding chokes and shells around the 30 Yard mark.  Lots of combos will pattern quality shells well at 25 to 35 Yards.  Boy does 40 Yards make a difference though!!!

I realize that the world of Low Brass 1 Ounce to 1.125 Ounce card shoots is a different world, and perhaps a super tight choke will eat a hole at 30 Yards.  That only helps if it eats the hole in the bullseye, more often than not.  It seems that the 33 Yard+ shoots limit the ability to eat a hole in the target shot after shot.  Some shooters say that at 33 Yards+ there is a lot of luck involved.

I wish we had a monthly shoot somewhere close to where I live. (Central MS)

SumToy

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on October 30, 2011, 08:28:50 AM

I wish we had a monthly shoot somewhere close to where I live. (Central MS)

I will ask around for you.  I know the gun that shoots 33 yards is from upper MS.   I know AL got alot of them.    I got guys that call from OK and that was wild.  We all think that turkey shoots are from the south and now the east but it is moving. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

allaboutshooting

Throughout the fall and winter months we have several of those shoots each week. There are some year-round in MO just an hour or so away as well. The distances will vary and rules will vary. Most are card shoots but some are board shoots. Participation in the local shoots has really increased in the last year.

Many of the local events are no longer "outlaw" shoots and require choke exit diameters to be no tighter than .675 and require the use of open sights. Barrel restrictions, if there are any, are 36" and there are no diameter restrictions.

There are still plenty of the outlaw shoots of course for those who want to participate in them.

The good thing that I've noticed about all of these shoots is that younger folks are very involved. For many years it seemed that it was only the "old guys" who were there.

We have a number of custom barrel and choke makers in our area who make some excellent products. If you're not "blowing holes" on a pretty regular basis, you're pretty much out of the competition.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

fountain2

im just gettting into the target stuff..stock bore mossy 500..around here we got a 90' and a 62' shoot.  fr the 90' shooters, what kind of patterns yall getting??  im just curious ans wanna see what i should be looking for while setting my gun up.  never been to a shoot before, but looking at my patterns at 90'...i need a lot more!  3o yards seems to be tough to hold a pattern of 8s for me...but there again, im not set up yet. 

yall target shooters post up some patters and distance..out of stock bbl guns.  im leaning to get a bbl built for the 500 and be done with it..then i may can hang with the big dogs

gob09

gob09

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on September 21, 2011, 07:43:39 AM
In my 835 I always used my lohman long shot .680 and usually did really well at 25 yard shhots.  Last year I won 7 of 9 rounds with that combo and 1 1/8 #8s.  Only needed 2 turkeys so I just took the money and bought more raffle tickets...thought I'd give back to the fire hall.  I hear good things about the Kick's Card Cutter though, but for 90 bucks?! 
Reckon a kicks .680 will do any good out of a 935
goin to try it after the neighbors have had time to get out of bed

SumToy

Quote from: gob09 on November 20, 2011, 07:21:25 AM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on September 21, 2011, 07:43:39 AM
In my 835 I always used my lohman long shot .680 and usually did really well at 25 yard shhots.  Last year I won 7 of 9 rounds with that combo and 1 1/8 #8s.  Only needed 2 turkeys so I just took the money and bought more raffle tickets...thought I'd give back to the fire hall.  I hear good things about the Kick's Card Cutter though, but for 90 bucks?! 
Reckon a kicks .680 will do any good out of a 935
goin to try it after the neighbors have had time to get out of bed

The 835 works good for the 2210's and in a gauge gun shoot.  The only thing with them is they will walk around with the bigger back bore.  If you just shoot the shoots that say 675 and bigger or use a 20ga shell check go have some fun.  If you just shoot a few time a year go have fun.  If you going to get into it all out you need to go to the shoot find the rules and see what you have got to beat.  Then find you someone to work with and start out on the journey. LOL :icon_thumright:

gob09

i just want to have fun but be competitve also if at all possible