Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Dominant Choke Maker in the "Turkey Shoot" arena? Lead #7.5, #8, or #9

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, September 20, 2011, 11:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Is there a Dominant Choke Maker in the "Turkey Shoot" arena?

They use Lead #7.5, #8, or #9 light loads at 15-30 yards, I believe.

Pure Gold?  Comp-N-Choke?  Kicks GT?

Comp-N-Choke and Kicks recommend .650 for #7.5, and .640 for #8 or #9.

This would be a lot of fun, and fairly inexpensive as well.

mightyjoeyoung

In my 835 I always used my lohman long shot .680 and usually did really well at 25 yard shhots.  Last year I won 7 of 9 rounds with that combo and 1 1/8 #8s.  Only needed 2 turkeys so I just took the money and bought more raffle tickets...thought I'd give back to the fire hall.  I hear good things about the Kick's Card Cutter though, but for 90 bucks?! 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on September 21, 2011, 07:43:39 AM
In my 835 I always used my lohman long shot .680 and usually did really well at 25 yard shhots.  Last year I won 7 of 9 rounds with that combo and 1 1/8 #8s.  Only needed 2 turkeys so I just took the money and bought more raffle tickets...thought I'd give back to the fire hall.  I hear good things about the Kick's Card Cutter though, but for 90 bucks?! 

I'm going to put that same combo to use pretty soon in some matches we have here. 

allaboutshooting

Most of the casual turkey shoots, a.k.a. card shoots, around here, have changed from an "any choke" to chokes with an exit diameter no tighter than .675. You don't see many factory chokes now. Most are custom models.

Most of those shoots also require open sights rather than 'scopes. There may or may not be barrel length restrictions and/or barrel diameter restrictions.

These shoots are generally less than 20 yards and 58' seems to be a pretty common distance.

The more serious card/turkey shoots still have an "outlaw" class that allows chokes of any exit diameter but may restrict the barrel length. Many of those chokes are in the .638 to .640 range and again are usually custom made.

These shoots are a lot of fun and attract pretty large crowds of shooters. Many of the casual shoots here have been going on for years and most welcome new shooters.

If you can find one or more in your area, I'd recommend that you give it a try.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

That is a big door.   You need to know the rules.   Then if you want a over the counter choke I would look at IC.    Now if you want to get ready for the shoots hands down look at custom card chokes from after market builders.   :icon_thumright:Few of them around.  PM me I give you a few more of them.    Now you shoot 835 just put 675 to 680 it will work.  If it a invector plus gun put a 673 to 675 kicks and IC work good. Custom is better but they work.  If you going with any other gun go custom.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

pitjeep

ncturkey

I am not sure but Pure Go;d had a card shooter choke. Not sure of the exit diameter. I would think you could have a custom choke built for you to your standards by Indian Creek or Sumtoy.

fountain2

Lots of different ones brought every week...the one that always win the pots have 4 rings at the end...that's what I see anyways ..around here

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Quotethe ones that always win the pots have 4 rings at the end

4 Rings = Sumtoy?

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteNow you shoot 835 just put 675 to 680 it will work.  If it a invector plus gun put a 673 to 675 kicks and IC work good. Custom is better but they work.  If you going with any other gun go custom.

I have RemChoke and Invector Plus pumps with 28" barrels.  At the moment:

.655, .665, .675, .690, and .700 chokes for the RemChoke
A Star Dot choke, and a .700 choke for the Invector Plus

I have patterned a lot of chokes and loads in the RemChoke rig, but no #8's or #9's yet.  Shucks, I've never even bought any #9's before.

I signed up for the Turkeyshoot.net Shooter's Forum.  The custom Outlaw Class rigs I saw via the builders' links are wild, to say the least.  Apparently, some people take this thing seriously.;)

fountain2

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on September 23, 2011, 12:16:18 AM
QuoteNow you shoot 835 just put 675 to 680 it will work.  If it a invector plus gun put a 673 to 675 kicks and IC work good. Custom is better but they work.  If you going with any other gun go custom.

I signed up for the Turkeyshoot.net Shooter's Forum.  The custom Outlaw Class rigs I saw via the builders' links are wild, to say the least.  Apparently, some people take this thing seriously.;)

yea, the outlaw guns are a whole nother world!  they have some serious work in them thats for sure

SumToy

3" 870 Shell Shucker

If it is a gauge gun shoot with big chokes I would shoot the invector plus gun.  Now if it is a anything goes I would drop the remington or to 642 to 645.  The invector guns like to be 645 to 650 most the time.   Now you got to look at the shoot and what you want to put in to a gun.  Lot of sleeper guns around.  Look stock but are reworked or even big barrels turned down to 7/8 to look stock.   Keep your eyes open and not fall into a trap.  :icon_thumright:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Exactly which #9 shell is most often used at the Outlaw Shoots?

SumToy

Big shoots use Wagner's.  Now the  normal outlaw/meat shoot will run top guns or estates most time.   Now just regular meat shoot fund raisers type shoots will shoot the cheapest shell they find. Walmart 100 pack most the time.   All them shells do good. Now the black hull remington or win universal just pray for the best LOL.

allaboutshooting

"Lot of sleeper guns around.  Look stock but are reworked or even big barrels turned down to 7/8 to look stock.   Keep your eyes open and not fall into a trap."

Good advice! It is truly amazing what some folks will do to gain an advantage.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."