OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

wanting a new gun

Started by laturkeyhunter, September 12, 2011, 10:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laturkeyhunter

im trying to decide between the mossberg 835 and the BPS. if pattern performance and durability were the only factors what would yall choose and why.

mossy835

I have the 835 ULTI mag and it has worked flawlessly for three years.

davisd9

Love the 835.  Not very expensive for gun or items for gun.  You will not find a better pattern.  Pure Golds, Jelly heads, Sum Toy, and other chokes work very well in the 835.  I have had an 835 for close to ten years now and never had a problem with them.  They are a breeze to clean.  I would vote the 835 hands down, but that is me.  Good Luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

Another vote for the 835. I've had both in 12 and a BPS 10. The 835 is the winner every single time for turkeys. The only time I use the mossy is for Turkey or occasional hogs. I hadn't used the 10 gauge since the mid 90's, which is when I bought the mossberg. Gave both my BPS's to my brother.

gobbler74

Quote from: laturkeyhunter on September 12, 2011, 10:24:29 PM
im trying to decide between the mossberg 835 and the BPS. if pattern performance and durability were the only factors what would yall choose and why.

bps 10 or 12 ga?
Browning quality is hard to beat, but mossberg make a lot of user friendly options
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

gobblergls

The Mossy's new LPA adjustable trigger separates it from the rest of the pump gun pack.

bird

835 or BPS.... Without a doubt.... BPS!!!  :smiley-char092:

835 wouldn't even be a consideration.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: laturkeyhunter on September 12, 2011, 10:24:29 PM

Both are excellent guns. The BPS is more friendly to left-hand shooters due to the bottom eject but much more complex when you tear it down for a thorough cleaning. The solid receiver of the BPS is less likely to get "gunk" in it from outside sources.

Browning barrel quality is excellent. The barrels are shiny and very smooth. The Invector+ BPS models have the .742 over bore and they pattern very well.

Mossberg 835s are famous for their patterning abilities. They been around a long time now and were the first factory chambered guns for 12 gauge 3.5" shells. The .775 bore is a proven design.

There are many more options for stocks, etc. with the 835 than with the BPS.

I'd recommend that you handle both guns, shoot them both if possible and buy which ever one feels the best to you. You won't go wrong with either.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

laturkeyhunter

thanks fellas i think i have decided im going with the mossy

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I really like Pump Actions.  I own a BPS 12, an 870 12, a Model 500 12, and a Charles Daly 20.  I once owned an 835 back many years ago, before the HTL craze, and the Lead and Steel patterns I got were average at best, but I didn't have a Star Dot, Pure Gold, or Indian Creek choke in it.  I've also owned a Nova before, and a few others.  Like I said, I really like Pump Actions.

All shoot great patterns with certain shells, through certain chokes, at certain distances.  My Synthetic 870 is a good still target shooter.  My Walnut BPS is pure quality all the way around.  My "Wal-Mart Special" Ported-Barrel Walnut 500 is a good bang for the buck, but the forearm rattles way too much to use it for turkey or deer hunting.  The Charles Daly is a cheap piece of junk, that can throw some good patterns with a few choke and shell combinations.

You spend your money, and you take your chances.  Good luck.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: mossy835 on September 13, 2011, 01:00:31 AM
I have the 835 ULTI mag and it has worked flawlessly for three years.

X2, but by about 10 years longer for me!   :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

gobblergls

Be sure it's the Mossy with the LPA trigger.  My Mossy is relegated to back-up behind the my 20s and SBE.  I've had it over 22 seasons.  
The top mounted safety of mine can be a bear to disengage.  I once had a  bird in front, in the clear, with the gun to my shoulder, safety on.  I couldn't take it off safety--stuck.  I dismounted the gun, disengaged safety with it my lap, reshouldered the gun and shot a confused, bewildered Tom at 35 steps.  Go figure.  Then there are those who read your mind and bolt as soon as you think about taking the safety off.

I had cycling problems shooting Nitro Ammo.  To be on the safe side, I sent it off and had every spring in the bolt assembly replaced.

chatterbox

I have an 835. I upgraded from a 535, and I have never looked back. She throws some sweet patterns, and I haven't had a bit of trouble with cycling issues.

surehuntsalot

there is only one turkey gun,and that is an 835
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

grousec

Buy the 835,  or an 870, not a BPS.