OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

non-scoped shotgun vs. scoped shotgun

Started by camp man, February 15, 2011, 04:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Singlebarrel

I never thought I would have a scope on a turkey gun.  I even used to poke a little fun at the guys who used them - "who in the heck would want to lug a shotgun around the woods with a scope on it?!" or "why in the world would you need a scope on a shotgun - it's not like you're shooting a rifle at 100yards?!?". 

Then I got on a missing streak.  Finally figured out that when I shoot in a hurry, I often don't take the time to get my head down on the stock.  So even though my bead is on his head, I shoot over him.  BTW - This is VERY easy to do with a short-barreled turkey gun.

Then I tried a red dot scope.  Doesn't matter how you hold the gun - right hand, left hand, upside down, or side ways - if that little red dot is on his head, he will die - period!  Now I will never have another turkey gun WITHOUT a scope!   :icon_thumright:

hobbes

I dont' have a problem with scopes, tight patterns, or shooting past 40 yards.  I've considered a scope before, but never did it.  Also, I have shot a few trees/limbs in two that I probably would have seen with a scope.  Although, I did shoot a 3" diameter tree in two with a scope while deer hunting once.

Just getting my jabs in.  ;D

WyoHunter

When I first started hunting turkeys I used a double bead on the rib setup and after a couple of years decided I needed a more accurate aiming system which ended up being a Williams adjustable rear sight and front ramped bead setup. I used this system for 10 years until one spring while lining up a gobblers head/neck that things were in focus like they had been before. After a trip to the eye doctor and a needed change in glasses I replaced the open sights with a Bushnell 1 3/4x - 4x scope with a Circle reticle and have never looked back. When you get older most of us find our vision has declined. That being said if I had it to do over again I'd start out with a scope and be glad I did because you can only shoot as good as you see!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

mudhen

Quote from: camp man on February 15, 2011, 04:49:51 PM
I've often wondered what the advantages to a scoped shotgun are for turkeys.... I can't come up with any. I've never owned one.... Just asking? It seems like low light would be a disadvantage, moving target would be a disadvantage, it would fog up.....

When I first cut open EM's Hevi-Shot, I laffed, and said this slag can't work  ???  Well, it do work, it do work just fine  ;D

Same for scopes.  You might think it's a disadvantage, but in the field, it usually ain't.

I equip my traveling gun with a Fast Fire because of all the variables that can occur on a short 3-day hunt.  I might only get one shot in those 3-4 days, and that shot simply must count.  Put the dot on the neck, boom...

Also, I think one of the great things about turkey hunting is how long a person can do it.  If scopes keep guys in the field, then that's just great by me.  I plan to hunt these birds until I drop dead, and if a scope helps me, I'll use it!

If I were a weekend warrior, or hunted one state with a low limit, I might not consider optics.  But I'm not, and I don't, so I do  :D

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Fullfan

I have been chasing them since 1976, never thought I would scope a shotgun. Well about 5 years I scoped my feild howitzer ( X-2). I only hunted the gun late in the year when I was chasing field gobblers.  I love the scope, it matters not if I am cheeking the gun just put the crosshairs on his head.

But the one thing that I have trouble with is the scope fogging up. I have tried every brand of anti fog out there and nothing seems to work.

I make it a point to attempt to kill 2 every year with my 11-87 and the standard beads, and then the scoped gun comes out.  There is a time and a place for each gun..
Don't gobble at me...

surehuntsalot

non scoped

the day I need a scope to turkey hunt is the day I quit  turkey hunting
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Reloader

I have two scoped shotguns and two with reflex sights.

Advantages of a Scope:
Better in low light
Easier to get on target in an intense situation(Gobbler Fever)
Much easier for close in shots with tight turkey loads
No worries of getting down on the stock/rib or trying to line up the two sights on the bird like open sights or a bead
Much faster aim, place x on head and pull trigger :D

Disadantages:
Weight of tube scopes, that's the only disadvantage I can think of

I've shot moving birds with a scope, nothing to it.  I think it helps alot to practice quite a bit.  I grew up hunting whitetails with hounds and shooting moving targets with a scope was part of the game.  I also shoot alot with CFs, so that helps as well.  I hear of folks having trouble finding game with optics and it always puzzles me, I can set a scope on high mag and find a target instantly at close range just as pointing a shotgun comes naturally.  I do like a wide FOV optic set at around 2x for turkey just incase the moving target comes into play. 

The reflex sights are so quick I believe skeet shooting wouldn't be out of the question.

You just have to go with what you are personally most comfortable with.

Reloader

goblr77

I have a scope on an 835 only because the POA/POI was off. If a shotgun shoots where I'm aiming I don't worry about a scope. Haven't had a problem missing birds yet.

mossybird

Red dot. I have a Tru-Glo 30mm Red Dot scope on my Mossberg 535. Have never had a problem with it yet. Most folks on here dont like Tru-Glo's, but they did work on 2 hens in the fall. A regular rifle scope wont work too well on a shotgun in my opinion because a turkey gun obviously kicks harder than most rifles. I say a red dot, but when I get my 20 Gauge Im gonna use a Burris FFII.  :cowboy:

mcgruff1533

I put a red dot on my Mossy 535 out of necessity.    The factory equipped fiber optic sights were not adequate for my needs.

I installed a Tru Glo red/green dot sight which helps me zero-in the shot pattern exactly where I need it depending on choke/load selection.

It's amazing, but some chokes and loads shoot entirely different places on a 36"x36" piece of paper.

Gobbling Buck

I've killed turkeys with only a bead....then got more serious about actually paterning my shotguns.  After seeing how far off the most dense part of the pattern was off, I went to a red dot sight.  After having the battery die on the red dot....I went to a scope and will never turkey hunt without one again.....unless something happens to it and I can't get it fixed before time to go hunting. :o  I just mounted a scope on my son's Mossberg Bantam 20ga this evening.  My main reason for this is so he will be forced to keep his head down on the stock and not look over the sights....thus shooting high and ending in a miss.  This is just my personal prefference and in now way would I ever tell someone you have to have a scope or red dot to hunt turkeys, but they definitely have some advantages.  Good luck to all this season and safe and happy hunting.-GB

RustySap

Been using a scope on my mossberg 835 since 1991...

mike103

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 21, 2011, 10:55:32 PM
non scoped

the day I need a scope to turkey hunt is the day I quit turkey hunting

Must be either young or just have good eye sight.

I would never allow a need to change equipment dictate if I hunt or not.

bbcoach

Gentlemen,
When it comes to turkey hunting, what we need to realize is even though we have a Scatter Gun in our hands, we should be shooting it like a rifle.  We all know at close range, your pattern is the size of a baseball and you will miss if you don't have your head down and Excellent Cheek Weld.  At longer distances, we need to put as many pellets as we can in the Walnut size brain and neck of that Ole Gobbler, to dispatch him Quickly!

With that being said, I opted for a Bushnell Red Dot on my 835, to go along with a Pure Gold .670 choke and shoot 3 1/2", 2 1/4 oz. #7 Hevi's. 

redleg06

Ive been effective both ways.

My reason for moving to a reddot is that I have a couple of guns that POA and POI didnt match up....

Evidently  I'm just not as good as some of you cowboys cause I havent tried looking down my barrel rib and guesstimating where the shot is headed.

Some of you guys seem to feel like you have some kind of "badge of honor" because you dont use a scope....