OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

non-scoped shotgun vs. scoped shotgun

Started by camp man, February 15, 2011, 04:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camp man

I've often wondered what the advantages to a scoped shotgun are for turkeys.... I can't come up with any. I've never owned one.... Just asking? It seems like low light would be a disadvantage, moving target would be a disadvantage, it would fog up.....

stinkpickle

A scope would have a big advantage in low light over beads.

knightrider

BIG ADVANTAGE is eyes that can no longer see sights or focus on sights :hello99:

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Basser69

camp man

See, I knew there was a reason for them.... I disagree with the low light part. With no scope, just look down your rib and squeeze.

Crutch

I asked the same thing before the Crash, what did make sense was to correct a POA/POI problem. I would just hold over or whatever but it would be a useful tool to anyone who wanted it.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

stinkpickle

Quote from: camp man on February 15, 2011, 05:35:48 PM
See, I knew there was a reason for them.... I disagree with the low light part. With no scope, just look down your rib and squeeze.

...if you can line up your beads, maybe.  Just looking down the rib ain't goin' be very accurate.  ;)

bencattin

With the chokes we use today our guns shoot more like rifles. Using a scope lets me adjust the POI to my tighest part of the pattern. It also makes you keep your head in the right position. I use a 4 power scope and there is no guessing when the cross hairs are on a gobblers noggin.
IF TURKEYS COULD SMELL WE WOULD NEVER KILL ONE!

redarrow

I dont have a choice. After numerous surgeries on my eyes I am unable to see a bead at even 23 inches. A scope is an advantage in low light.

Gobble!

I use a .665 Indian Creek and hevi13 #7s
When a bird is inside 20 yards my pattern is super tight and with a scope I feel much more comfortable.

HogBiologist

It allows me to see the small limbs in the way.  Using the circle reticle I can estimate range.  I can even out shoot my cousins while dove hunting using my scope.  :groupwave:
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Stoner

I never understood a scope on a shotgun for turkey either. Your shots are going to be under 40 yards. Look down the barrel and shoot, does not get any easier then that.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Stoner on February 15, 2011, 06:05:56 PM
I never understood a scope on a shotgun for turkey either. Your shots are going to be under 40 yards. Look down the barrel and shoot, does not get any easier then that.

Squeeze off a round thru a turkey choke at 10 yards and see.   :D

camp man

I have many times..... My first turkey gun didn't even have a bead on the front of it. I knocked it off in a duck boat years ago. It worked fine for me. I probably killed in the neighborhood of twenty gobblers with it before I upgraded.