OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Does anyone pull double duty and hunt turkey while they are bow hunting for deer

Started by LeviSS, August 28, 2011, 10:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviSS

In the fall, whitetail is my #1 priority, but I'd like to try to get a turkey in the fall.  The past couple years, I've just bought a tag with the hopes of a turkey getting close enough to stick with a bow.  This year, I'd like to try a little harder.  I was thinking of maybe putting out a decoy and calling here and there.  Does anyone do this?  What's your tactic?

redarrow

I do. I always apply for a fall tag just in case I run into birds while bow hunting deer.

theroaddog

if I were in your shoes I would look out for deer while I was fall turkey hunting! 

doepee

I buy a tag also while I am deer hunting usually have birds real close..

lohaus

I see them all the time while sitting.  Haven't took one with my bow yet though.  I'm planning on trying this fall.

OLE RASPY

I havent bow hunted real hard in a couple years but when i did i sat in the stand waiting on turkey not deer. ;D

Kylongspur88

Yes, but with the way the current law in KY is written most of my deer properties are off limits to fall turkey hunting of any kind because most people here feed corn; and while feeding corn on that property, that entire property is considered baited for the purposes of turkey hunting. I'll go out on a limb and guess that a large portion of private properties in the state are baited. I do most all of my fall turkey hunting at WMA's because of this rule.

Spring Creek Calls

I do hunt turkey along with deer while in the stand. I also hunt just turkey several days in the fall with the shotgun. We have enough birds in SW MI that you can buy a second tag, or more, till the license quota is met.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

drenalinld

I used to get distracted with deer while I was Fall turkey hunting, but now we don't have any Fall seasons in AR. I love to chase turkeys in the Fall. You can hear more calling on some Fall/Winter mornings than in a whole Spring of hunting.

fallsflight

I usually see or have a bunch of birds come past the stand while bow hunting each fall, but I have yet to draw on one and probably won't.  I always think a buck could possibly be close by and don't want to take the chance of spooking him.  I used to hunt turkey in the fall, but for quite a few years now I concentrate my time between ducks and bucks, so I only hunt them in the spring.

fallhnt

I archery turkey hunt in the fall and shoot deer that get close.I shot a nice 8pt. last sept. in MO.He wanted to know what I was,I was in my ground blind,and shot him at 35 yds.Two more bucks came out of the same spot while I was tagging him.This does not happen to much while in a ground blind that is not brushed in.The same spot a doe and yearling spotted me and were gone!I had a hen decoy out that can be seen in the background of the pic.So if you brush in a blind you won't be mobile and if you don't you may not even have any action.Good luck.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

njdevilsb

I always carry a call in my pocket while I'm bow hunting for deer.  Deer take priority for me in the fall, but turkey are always in the back of my mind.  Our super sportsman license package includes our fall tags as well.

Devastator

yes i have since the xbow was legalized in pa.after sitting for 3 hours in the morning out of a stand i take a stroll and sit about a half hour on the ground through out the day and sit again 3 hours before dark back in a stand.this of course all done the last 2 weeks of the archery season during the rut.

WyoHunter

I haven't in the past but this year I'm going to get a fall turkey tag. I always see a lot of turkeys where I bowhunt deer. Does this mean I won't see any this year!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

LeviSS

Quote from: fallsflight on August 29, 2011, 09:56:41 AM
...but I have yet to draw on one and probably won't.  I always think a buck could possibly be close by and don't want to take the chance of spooking him.  I used to hunt turkey in the fall, but for quite a few years now I concentrate my time between ducks and bucks, so I only hunt them in the spring.

That's kinda my delima.  I'd hate to mess up a nice buck.  I love to turkey hunt, but deer take priority over turkey.

Do you guys throw out a decoy or not worry about it and just call sparingly?