OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nitro Shot Sizes

Started by Hognutz, February 15, 2011, 01:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your ''go to'' shot size in Nitro shotshells?

Straight #7's
22 (44.9%)
Straight #5's
2 (4.1%)
4x5x6's
0 (0%)
4x5x7's
25 (51%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Hognutz

Just wondering which Nitro shell is the most common in the turkey woods. I am new to them, and trying to figure out which is the load of choice. I am venturing into the Nitro game with a Browning BPS 10 ga. Thanks Gobbler74...Mike 
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

WVhuntEER

I shoot the 4x5x7 and have had great results.  Honestly, I can't see how I could improve. That said,  I have read on here that the straight 7's are unreal.  You really can't go wrong.

horsedoctor

#7 in My SP-10. Sends a deadly swarm of shot further than I ought to be shooting at turkeys.

4nwtf

I like the 2x5x7 & the 4x5x7 loads.  I have had to make a few second shots at running/flying birds and the bigger shot breaks wings hips etc.  Of course in a perfect world I wouldn't have to do that but sometimes my nerves get the best of me and I screw up the perfect "easy" shot lol.

Basser69

This is my first year with the Nitros but I ordered them in straight 7's for my SP-10 due to the posts I have seen on OG

Hognutz

Thanks for the replies. Please keep them coming..Mike :icon_thumright:

kyhareraiser

man ; i ain't never heard of shooting turkeys with 7 shot..that's my favorite dove losd though..  6's is the smallest i've ever used on turkeys ..it powders their head too

Hognutz

Hevi- Shot #7's are about as hot as you can get. The numbers are staggering..

flydowntn

I would go with a Heavy 13 load.
S. P. Game Calls

n2deer

I have used the  4x5x7 for a few years but plan to use the hevi 13 this year.

runngun

I shoot the mixed shot in my 12, got a buddy that has a SP 10 that he shoots the mixed shot in his 10 gauge and his patterns are unreal. They ought to be considering that he is shooting those "Roman Candles".
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

wvboy

4x5x7 economy load in my 12 ga ..  Straight 7s in my 20 ga .. both are deadly .. I tried the hevi 13 a few years ago. not even close to the patterns I get with the Nitros ..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

HogBiologist

Quote from: kyhareraiser on February 15, 2011, 04:36:30 PM
man ; i ain't never heard of shooting turkeys with 7 shot..that's my favorite dove losd though..  6's is the smallest i've ever used on turkeys ..it powders their head too

This aint yo mommas lead shot :goofball:  It is heavier than lead and will out perform lead 2 sizes larger.  LOL
Certified Wildlife Biologist

jyoung

Mossberg 935, rhino choke, shooting the 3 1/2 in 4x5x7's.  You can't beat it with a stick!!!
Jonathan Young

SKFOOTER

Quote from: kyhareraiser on February 15, 2011, 04:36:30 PM
Evidently you have never shot Hevi-Shot???