turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which weapon to kill a bird with

Started by wisconsinteacher, February 15, 2011, 12:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

So I am going to start my gauge slam this year and have made a few rules for myself.  Rule #1, the first tag I get I will use my 12 ga but tag 2 will be used by a different weapon until the slam is complete.  Rule #2, in WI I can carry two weapons so for the 2nd tag, I can take a bow and gun to the blind.  If I can not get a shot with the bow, I will use the gun as back up and running and gunning.  So my question is what weapon should I go with this year?  Dad's 20 ga, buddy's 10 ga, my .410, recurve, or compound. 

I know a true slam is done in one year, but this is going to take a few years.  I need to buy a ML shotgun and a 28ga.  I have a compound, recurve, longbow, and access to a 10-12-20-16-.410.

sugarray

I would get the hardest out of the way first.  So go with the long bow and .410

hookedspur

Compound backed up with Dads 20.Good luck on your slam.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

wisconsinteacher

I will most likely ever get a turkey mounted but my goal with the slam is to have the empty shell/broadhead, beard, and picture on a board of some kind some day.

Muskie03

do they even make .410 turkey shells? dosen't seem like the ideal weapon. I'd go with the recurve myself.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

wisconsinteacher

I don't think they make a "turkey" shell, but the .410 smoked a jake last year at 15 yards for my friend's son.  At 20 yards I would feel fine shooting the .410.

Muskie03

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on February 15, 2011, 01:19:13 PM
I don't think they make a "turkey" shell, but the .410 smoked a jake last year at 15 yards for my friend's son.  At 20 yards I would feel fine shooting the .410.

Cool, give her a shot!
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

maustypsu

I'd go with the more difficult ones first.  If you only get one this year, then next year I'd hunt with the 10 for your first.  The following year, the 16, then the 20...   This way you always have a very capable shotgun for your first bird each of the first four seasons.  But you are also making progress toward the slam.

schuylkillspur

Recurve or Longbow. :anim_25:
True slam don't have to be done in one year. That thinking comes from people with too much time and money on there hands. Good luck. If you lived closer I'd let ya use my 28ga. God Bless.
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

knightrider

allchokedup