OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Beretta xtrema II with kickoff?

Started by gatortrax35, February 15, 2011, 12:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatortrax35

I have a Beretta xtrema II and was wondering what would be a good choke tube for it? I was thinking about buying Hevi SHot and was wondering if  hevi shot was worth the money. I belive you have to have a choke tube designed to shoot hevi shot?  I bought a Primos Jelly Head , because the package said, for beretta's/ benelli. Bought is 2 months ago on sale, threw away the package, now,,I find out it does not fit my model. I have both , Beretta xtrema II and a Benelli SBII , dang choke tube doesnt fit either one. I think Im going to stick to using my Beretta. I just like it better, plus the kickoff helps with recoil. So any advice, choke tubes/shells?

sugarray

The hevi loads are worth it IMHO.  Putting up great turkey killing patterns and they hit turkeys hard.  Do yo need them, absolutely not, but are they nice.  Heck yeah!!!  I would go with the 3"/2 oz loads or the 3.5" 2 1/4 oz loads.  #7 or #6 will give great patterns.   You do need a choke made for the higher density shot, and there are many.  You will hear pure gold, indian creek, jelly head, kick's.  You just have to chose your poison, b/c they are all capable of great patterns. 

I would contact primos and see if they are willing to swap out a choke.  They may.  I have contacted them and they told me to take mine back to the store where purchased.  If you can take it back, I would at least try.  They will be able to see that it has never even been shot. 

You can take a pic and post it up in the classifieds here.  Someone will take it, usually.

No matter what you decide, head to the range and see what those patterns look like.

forester

First post here. I'm also looking for some Extrema II info. Lots of info on the 870's and Moss 835's but not much on this gun. What are some proven combinations that work (or don't work)? Currently shooting the factory full and hevi 6"s but looking to tighten it up a bit. Thanks.

sugarray

The Extrema has a .733 in barrel.  The MobilChoke barrel has a .723 in diameter, so:

IC = .665, so that is 90.7% of barrel
PG = .670, so that is 91.4% of barrel
JH = .660, so that is 90% of barrel
Kicks = .670, .675, .680

So, my choice would be the JH with HeviShot #7 or the IC with HeviShot #6

goblr77

I have an Xtrema with a 26" barrel. Last year I averaged 200-210 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yds with a Trulock .668 Precision Hunter choke and 2.25 oz. Hevi-13 #6's. After much research and asking around, I bought an Indian Creek .665 and some Hevi-13 2.25 oz. #7's. I haven't had a chance to pattern this combo yet but I will this weekend. I'm expecting good things and will post results next week.

goblr77

Quote from: liquid affliction on February 15, 2011, 04:30:19 PM
I have the Extrema II and use a Rhino 660 for lead ( i know, old school) and a Pure Gold .670 for Hevi shot 3-2-6.  I like the PG for all around since i like the birds close but will take the long shot if needed.

As you learned....Beretta/Benelli have made several variations over the years. Standard Benelli, Mobil Choke and optima plus.  The Extrema II uses optima plus.

What kind of numbers are you getting from the Pure Gold .670 and the Hevi-13 3-2-6's? I've been on the verge of buying a Pure Gold for my Xtrema.

pullit

The Beretta optima plus and the Benelli Ciro (or something like that) are the same choke.

goblr77

Quote from: pullit on February 15, 2011, 10:15:37 PM
The Beretta optima plus and the Benelli Ciro (or something like that) are the same choke.

That's right. Optima+ and Crio+ are the same.

gatortrax35

Quote from: goblr77 on February 15, 2011, 04:12:41 PM
I have an Xtrema with a 26" barrel. Last year I averaged 200-210 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yds with a Trulock .668 Precision Hunter choke and 2.25 oz. Hevi-13 #6's. After much research and asking around, I bought an Indian Creek .665 and some Hevi-13 2.25 oz. #7's. I haven't had a chance to pattern this combo yet but I will this weekend. I'm expecting good things and will post results next week.

let us know!!

gordongekko

Quote from: goblr77 on February 16, 2011, 10:20:49 AM
Quote from: pullit on February 15, 2011, 10:15:37 PM

That's right. Optima+ and Crio+ are the same.
yes, but the bore diameters are different, meaning a .665 choke in an optima plus (xtrema) technically has more constriction than a .665 in a crio plus (M2 or SBE II) because the benelli has a tighter bore...practically though they both shot Hevi-13 no. sixes at 195 or more in 10"s for me through an Indian Creek choke and that is plenty for what I want....
In God we trust; all others pay cash.