turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

CREE Q5 LED 345 Lumen Flashlight

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, August 13, 2011, 02:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

This little light is one of the smallest I have.  But for it's size it throws a beam a good 200+ yds.  It throws a nice tight beam.  I really like it. 

I took it out last night and it easily lights up the last street sign down the road approx 215yds. 

mikejd

ILIKEHEVI-13

$13 shipped to my door.  But I will say the $25 KEYGOS light I have is a lot better quality light and about 3 times as bright.  Go check it out.  For $25 shipped to your door, you can't beat that light. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Mike,

Here's the light that you need.  This thing is a 10 for the money.  You won't find a light as small that will beat it for brightness or quality for the money.  

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,12301.0.html

fallsflight

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on August 16, 2011, 01:05:26 PM
$13 shipped to my door.  But I will say the $25 KEYGOS light I have is a lot better quality light and about 3 times as bright.  Go check it out.  For $25 shipped to your door, you can't beat that light. 

Brad,

I will soon see how bright that Keygos light is, as I pulled the trigger and bought it.  I think it will come in very handy.  Thanks for all the info.

Jason

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: fallsflight on August 16, 2011, 02:26:42 PM
$13 shipped to my door.  But I will say the $25 KEYGOS light I have is a lot better quality light and about 3 times as bright.  Go check it out.  For $25 shipped to your door, you can't beat that light.  

Brad,

I will soon see how bright that Keygos light is, as I pulled the trigger and bought it.  I think it will come in very handy.  Thanks for all the info.

Jason

No problem Jason.  I think you will be blown away when you click the switch for the first time.  That's if you have a battery in it.  LOL!  Go shine that light down your street at nite when you get it.  And make sure you get some good 18650 batteries like the ones I told you about.  Good batteries can make a light a lot brighter and go a lot longer in between charges. 

fallsflight

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on August 16, 2011, 05:25:54 PM
$13 shipped to my door.  But I will say the $25 KEYGOS light I have is a lot better quality light and about 3 times as bright.  Go check it out.  For $25 shipped to your door, you can't beat that light.  

Brad,

I will soon see how bright that Keygos light is, as I pulled the trigger and bought it.  I think it will come in very handy.  Thanks for all the info.

Jason

No problem Jason.  I think you will be blown away when you click the switch for the first time.  That's if you have a battery in it.  LOL!  Go shine that light down your street at nite when you get it.  And make sure you get some good 18650 batteries like the ones I told you about.  Good batteries can make a light a lot brighter and go a lot longer in between charges. 

Yup, I also purchased those batteries you told me to get.   Hopefully they both arrive around the same time!  I will let you know when it arrives and I try it.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: fallsflight on August 16, 2011, 08:57:32 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on August 16, 2011, 05:25:54 PM

Brad,

Jason

No problem Jason.  I think you will be blown away when you click the switch for the first time.  That's if you have a battery in it.  LOL!  Go shine that light down your street at nite when you get it.  And make sure you get some good 18650 batteries like the ones I told you about.  Good batteries can make a light a lot brighter and go a lot longer in between charges.  

Yup, I also purchased those batteries you told me to get.   Hopefully they both arrive around the same time!  I will let you know when it arrives and I try it.

Sounds good.  I'm already wishing I had another.  Super bright beam of light is all I can say about this little light.  Around 850 lumens is a ton of light from such a little guy.  

mikejd

Thanks I have a few in the watch list already. Definitely cant beat that price.

TheTwistedOne

I don't know what batteries and charger you are recommending but folks need to know they shouldn't take those Lithium Ion cells for granted.

Protected cells (overcharge, overdischarge and emergency venting) are worth it.

If you don't have a voltage meter then get one just for checking the charge on the batteries.  Don't depend on the charger to tell you! 

Lithium Ion cells are awesome for driving a light but trust me do yourself a favor and research them some.

Single cell lights are more forgiving.  Multi-cell lights with bad charging practices or crummy batteries can go boom!  Not all batteries are rated for stacking.

One major difference between the cheap lights and the more expensive ones is the heat-sinking built in.  The cheap ones often have to be turned off to cool down long before the battery runs out.

I am not familiar with that particular light so I don't know if it has any issues.

If you are looking at new flashlights nowadays it's really a good idea to find out if it's compatible with a P60 style lamp.  This is Surefire's standard and there are literally tons of third party options available.  Surefire's P60's are limited to 6V so you can't use re-chargeables.  Not too worry there are plenty of P60 lamps available that are rated for higher voltage.  Make your own Surefire compatible or upgrade your old one  ;)

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well the best charger from a flashlight expert on another forum has told me for $80 or less this is the best one you can get.  I just bought one recently.  But the XTAR WP2 charger is the ticket.  You can also buy them off manofont.com.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/XTAR-WP2-Battery-Charger-/170671437988?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item27bccf78a4

That same guy told me the best battery to be had is the XTAR 18650 2600MAH.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2pcs-XTAR-18700-18650-2600mAh-Lithium-Battery-Fenix-/160633811171?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item25668570e3

He aslo told me the Trustfire red /blk flames battery to be a good one.  

I bought a few of them from here.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/2X-TrustFire-Protected-18650-Rechargeable-Battery-3-7V-/260750543965?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item3cb5f18c5d

These bright led bulb lights do warm up at the head.  But I haven't seen any issues yet, but I will say that there are a plenty of good flashlights to be had other than Surefire.  

Here's a great place to get some great buys from so I have been told.  

http://manafont.com/

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's a link on batery info that tells you what batteries are the best for % of claimed capacity. 

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-d4S1zhNLJeQ/TfEPUfV1nBI/AAAAAAAAB1A/N1YIXOZg2uE/s1600/%2525.jpg

ILIKEHEVI-13

I will say this light I am originally talking about in my first post doesn't warm up at the head like some of my brighter lights do.

TheTwistedOne

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on August 17, 2011, 09:04:19 PM
Here's a link on batery info that tells you what batteries are the best for % of claimed capacity. 

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-d4S1zhNLJeQ/TfEPUfV1nBI/AAAAAAAAB1A/N1YIXOZg2uE/s1600/%2525.jpg

That's a pretty good list.  Noticeably missing are Redilast and AW Power.  Those would rank quite high in that bunch.

A pretty simple test to do on any charger is this.  As soon as the charger indicates "Fully Charged" take out the battery and measure it's charge with a voltmeter.  Stick the battery back in the charger and see if it tells you immediately if it's fully charged.  Some chargers won't tell you it's fully charged immediately.  Take the battery out and measure the voltage again.  If it didn't indicate "Fully Charged" immediately it will probably read a little higher.  This is one way how batteries sometimes get accidentally over-charged.  It's good practice to take the cells out as soon as the charge is indicated as full and measure the voltage.

Be really aware of the shrink tubing around the battery on protected type batteries.  The protection circuit has a thin ribbon just under the shrink wrap that shunts the voltage around the battery if the protection circuit is tripped.  If you look hard enough you'll see where it is running under the shrink wrap.  If that gets damaged you are no longer using a protected cell.

Side note:  If the protection is tripped the battery will read 0 Volts on the voltmeter.

I only own one Surefire.  The rest of my lights are other brands, and mods I've bought or built myself.  I only mention Surefire because of the vast variety of P60 lamp assemblies that are now available.  Surefire is supposed to be the originator of that standard.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Thanks for the info.

Here's a little review on the XTAR WP2 charger. 

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/875