turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

who has quit chewing tobacco?

Started by socalturkeyman, August 04, 2011, 09:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peck1524

I quit a 15 year can a day of Copenhagen habit about a year ago. Cold turkey. Not as tough as I thought it would be, but not easy my any means. When the cravings got really bad I would down a few beers, or take a chew of coffee grounds.

Turkey Trot

I quit chewing Levi Garrett.

Several times.

I don't chew every day, just occasionally and while in the woods.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Gobble!

no one likes a quiter

HAHA just kidding.

honker22

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do deer hunting this year.  My 1st dip of the morning, in the box stand, was something I really looked forward to... ha
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

West Augusta

Quote from: Gobble! on August 12, 2011, 12:48:36 PM
no one likes a quiter

HAHA just kidding.

Quit drinking 12 years ago also.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Ol'Mossy

socalturkeyman

with recent added stress its been really hard. BUt that fake stuff is really helping out.And I know how you feel honker, I always looked forward to that also lol.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

ILIKEHEVI-13

Guys, I'm gonna give you some great advice, and since I dipped for about 30yrs I think I know as good as any on this subject.  I started this bad habit when I was 13.  Yea it was fun dipping with all my buddies, but you reach a point that this stuff no longer satisfies your lip.  All you get is the burning sensation that feels like your burning a hole through your lip where you put it.  Your gums will be ate away as well.  You won't get your loss of gums back.  Now you can do like me and keep dipping till you reach this point at 30yrs, 25yrs, 20yrs, 15yrs, etc... for it will vary from person to person and a lot of it is psychological that made us dip this damn long to begin with, or you can do what I finally did and said screw this stuff.  Do yourself a personal favor and I will even be your coach if you need one.  Throw that damn can away right now, or take one more dip and tell yourself that is the last one.  Make it your farewell dip!  That's what I did.  I think I have been dip free about 5yrs now and it no longer even tempts me to want to try it again.  I have beat the bad habit.  And that is what it is.  

Now I can tell you if you guys were like me and I know you probably are when it come to this stuff that you like to dip when you fish and hunt.  That is going to be your trigger response to want to dip since your doing without on these triggering activities.  That is going to be psychological mostly, but these activities will test you to your will.  Make your will overcome these psychological thoughts during these activities.  Just say no dip.  And don't take a can with you just in case.  You know that your not committed if that happens in the first place and you will only give in to the urge.  Say I'm through.  Beat it once without during these activities and you can beat it again.  Each day will get only easier.  But it's going to test you to the end.  I know I stopped dipping right before deer season.  But I knew my will power would prevail.  Take some gum, mints,  jerky along and chew or eat it(depending on which one you choose of course) to help you get through on these first outings doing these activities.  Take one day at a time.  Mark it on your calendar if you wish.  But just keep up the dip free streak and you will thank me but mostly thank yourself for beating the world of smokless or chewing tobacco.  

BOFF

Bringing this back up!!

How are you doing?

Started back? That's ok!! You can quit today.

May God grant you the strength, to quit completely today!!!

God Bless,
David B.

redarrow

Quote from: BOFF on May 08, 2012, 08:42:36 AM
Bringing this back up!!

How are you doing?

Started back? That's ok!! You can quit today.

May God grant you the strength, to quit completely today!!!

God Bless,
David B.
Amen to that. I am a recovering alcoholic and a 4 pack a day smoker. Haven't had either in 26-27 years.All things are possible through Christ.

WildTigerTrout

I quit "cold turkey" 15 years ago. I chewed Copenhagen snuff for 25 years. It was not easy but I'm so glad I did it. It is a very bad habit.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

wangchung0121

I quit 2 weeks ago today.  10 years of a can a day of Copenhagen Long Cut.  Hasn't been easy.  I keep getting asked if it still bothers me.  I figure that since I'm still keeping track of how long it's been, it must.  It's good to know that so many on here have successfully quit.  Keeps the drive there.  Thanks.

wisconsinteacher

Great job on quitting guys.  I tried it a few times and hated it.  I want to add something that helped my dad.  He use to go to the bar every night for a few cold ones.  One day he said something about a new rifle.  I told him to stay out of the bar and save the money up.  1 year later, he got a beautiful Remington 700.  He put the money in a can every night and was able to save $1000.  Put your chew/beer/smokes money in a spot and buy something to reward yourself after a time period.  Also, stay away from the gas station where you got your chew/beer/smokes.  Lastly, think of your family and friends that enjoy hearing your voice when you think about taking one more dip.  Keep chewing and get mouth or tongue cancer and your voice is gone.

Mark K

June 28, 2012 will be 1 year tobacco free for me!!!! I still dip the Smokey Mountain Tobacco Free Pouches though and a can will last 3-4 days!! The only side effect was weight gain! Food just started tasting better!!

jblackburn

Quitting was really hard for me.  I finally did it by eating tons of candy apple suckers and jolly ranchers.  I ate so much candy that it made my tongue/mouth raw and when I tried to dip again it hurt so bad that I laid it down for good.  I'm not going to lie, I have some buddies that still dip and when I am around them I want one REALLY bad, but I have been dip free for over 6 years!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.