turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bear Bating.

Started by redarrow, August 01, 2011, 04:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redarrow

For those of you that bear hunt over bait, what do you use ? Kamski and I had  been burning up the roads chasing leads on where to get stuff and finally found a place 80 miles from where we hunt that offers everything you need. Everything except pastries and breads that is. We got 20 gallons of raspberry pie filling,5 gallons of peanut butter and 30 lbs. of chocolate candies all for under a hundred bucks. We also have laid in a supply of sweet feed,kernel corn,and molasses. The locals all tell us to stay away from meat scraps ????????  Thats all we ever used in Canada. We cant start baiting before mid August so we're getting our supplies ready now. Got our heart set on a chocolate phase.Season opens Sept 16 th.

Oh yeah. I just picked up 10 gals. of fryer and griddle grease from the local restaurant.

LX_Trkyhntr

get a kettle and pop up a bunch of pop corn!  We have had GREAT luck with it.  We go to Sam's Whse and pick up a couple of 50# bags of pop corn and some grease to pop it with.  You can also throw in some sugar with it when you are popping it to make a "kettle corn" type flavor.  They go crazy over it down here!

We pop it in advance and store it in 40gal trash bags.
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

lightsoutcalls

I'm hoping to round up a bunch of bread sticks from pizza hut.  They throw out a bunch everyday here and can get them to save them for me.

I had a guy tell me that anise is a great attractant for bears.  I've got a couple of "bear bombs" from the folks that make Buck Bomb products.  Seems like one of them is anise. 

I had heard the popcorn was a good idea, and very easy to carry in.  Sounds like the sugar might increase the draw with their sweet tooth.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

savduck

Im not a bear hunter, but Im curious. Sounds like you have some stuff they cant resist.

If you kill one though, would you be known as a master baiter?
Georgia Boy

Ol'Mossy

Go to a grocery store and get doughnuts that they are throwing out, the bears love them.

Like someone else said anise is good too.

redarrow

Quote from: savduck on August 01, 2011, 05:25:18 PM
Im not a bear hunter, but Im curious. Sounds like you have some stuff they cant resist.

Kamski and I are "THE" Master Baiters.

Keep the ideas coming guys !  Thanks.

savduck

:icon_thumright:

Way to own it. I hope you guys get a boner.....I mean booner.
Georgia Boy

OLE RASPY

Quote from: savduck on August 01, 2011, 05:25:18 PM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

rtsj

Quote from: LX_Trkyhntr on August 01, 2011, 04:38:14 PM
get a kettle and pop up a bunch of pop corn!  We have had GREAT luck with it.  We go to Sam's Whse and pick up a couple of 50# bags of pop corn and some grease to pop it with.  You can also throw in some sugar with it when you are popping it to make a "kettle corn" type flavor.  They go crazy over it down here!

We pop it in advance and store it in 40gal trash bags.
Same idea but a little different from LX-Trkyhntr with a twist. One of the best bear baits i've seen is simple farmer oats. Super cheap and very light. Dump out about 5lbs of oats and about a gallon of fryer grease mix them real well and the bears go nuts. They will stick their paws in the barrel and lick all the sticky oats off them like a lollypop. Really keeps them occupied and at the bait for awhile.

Woodsman4God

Heya Red

I just read in a fur fish and game magazine, big on DIY stuff is to put out Jello poder either into a hole or just on ground and get it wet  so it soaks into the ground, keeps the smell around for  a long time

mossy835

Out here they ask people to not use suit that you would use to attract birds if the bears are in close they say the grease drives them crazy, worth a try. You can make your own too.

redarrow

I've been stockpiling stuff getting ready for mid Aug. when we can start baiting. So far Kamski and I got 20 gallons of raspberry pie filling, 5 gals.of peanut butter, 30 lbs of chocolate , and 10 gals. of fryer grease . Woodsman4gods Dad hooked me up with a bread distribution place where I can get truck loads of old bread. Gonna go to Sams Club and pick up a 50 lb.bag of popcorn and mix it with grease and jello.Will probably pick up 100 lbs. of marshmallows too.Them ol bears will think they died and went to bear heaven.

Hognutz

How about a pic-a-nic basket, Boo Boo???
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

kamski1151

Dang Red, all them Vittles,We gonna need a Excavater to drag that bad boy out of the woods...

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

redarrow